Confused : IVMS/LOCAL settings or NVR

qrt1977

n3wb
Reaction score
At first setup I used the NVR to do the initial setup ( motion & intrusion detection ) with automatic IP through the NVR

Now I switched to a fixed IP address for every camera.

How Do I discard the motion detection/ intrusion detection on the NVR and Use the local camera settings ?
If I check the camera and the NVR , the settings are not the same.
Does it use the camera settings or the NVR settings ?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
good question i have always assumed that the camera always told the nvr what to do as the camera is the master and the nvr the slave
as some times conflicts can happen between the nvr and camera. i let the camera control whats happening
then add in ivms on a laptop.even there i let the camera settings rule as all adjustment i use virtual host to set up each camera.
hopefully someone with more knowledge can shed better light, as i have read up on this and was lead to believe camera sets the rules.(hikvision).

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am in the same thoughts process as you, driven by the fact that the camera is the element that is doing the work, as in the micro processing, and the NVR is then manipulating the data? if that makes sense

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally the NVR is the master, camera is the slave. When adding a camera to a NVR for the first time, the NVR reads the camera settings, and saves it back. Then on a regular basis (perhaps once per hour) the NVR sends back to the camera all the settings they share (like motion detection settings, resolution, bitrate, camera time, etc.). In case you change something directly in the camera, on the next synchronization cycle this change will be overwritten by the NVR.

qrt1977

n3wb
Reaction score
That actually sucks ( if it is true )!!
because then you loose all the extra features you can set on the local device that are not available on the NVR

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That actually sucks ( if it is true )!!
because then you loose all the extra features you can set on the local device that are not available on the NVR
Actually you don't lose these extra features.. you have to set it in the camera instead. In this case the NVR is totally unaware of these additianal settings.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When setting up cameras use the NVR to set all the possible settings it will let you, then connect to the camera and make any additional settings that the NVR didn't cover. It's really annoying when I forget that and change the frame rate only for it to revert a few minutes later!