Confusing POE Related Question?

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, all 16 of my cameras work on the monitor and look great. On the Channel Status page of the NVR I have all green lights on all 16 cameras in the status column, all looking good, but in the POE Manager page of the NVR it shows the cameras hooked up to the POE switch, cameras 10, 11, 12 & 13 show amber in the status column instead of green and are not showing anything in the Speed and Power columns but still look great on the monitor.

All other cameras plugged directly into the NVR are showing 100Mbps in the speed column and average between 3.0 and 4.0 watts in the power column totaling 41.5 watts on average. The POE switch is rated at 123 watts or 30 watts per port so the cameras aren't starving for power. Not sure if this helps in troubleshooting but I have LAN 1 and LAN 2, assuming LAN2 is the POE switch connection? LAN 1 send speed is 125 kb/S on average and receiving speed is 21.44 Mb/S on average. LAN 2 send speed is 370 kb/S on average and the receive speed is 65.54 Mb/S on average. The BPS, whatever that is averages between 3111 and 5163 kbps on all 16 cameras.

I haven't tried the remote viewing thing yet, could the lack of any info in the speed and power columns on cameras 10 - 13 be related to remote viewing settings?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It won't show speed and power to the cameras on the POE switch as the NVR POE is not providing either to the cameras.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It won't show speed and power to the cameras on the POE switch as the NVR POE is not providing either to the cameras.
Ahhhh, simple as that. I'm sure a managed POE switch would show the info, mine is unmanaged and that info is not something I need to know on a regular basis anyways. Thank you for answering my question so fast, I appreciate it.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another dumb and pointless question, I have some cables tangled up going into the metal can that houses the POE switch and I can't close door to the can. If I unplug one of the camera cables to reroute it, untangle it, will I have to do a Device Search on the NVR and assign a new IP address for that camera or does that IP address stay the same?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would assume it would keep them the same, but since you have had issues before, you probably will LOL.

It should be no different than a power outage. Now for the NVR itself, if you start unplugging from the POE ports and don't plug them into the same one, you will have issues.,

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol, yeah, not planning on moving any cables on the NVR, it does seem like a waste though having 4 open ports on the NVR. now I'm wondering if those open ports can be used for anything else?