Confusion on Wiring/Mounting Cameras (Ceiling/Roof)

mercfh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So im going to be purchasing a couple of cameras, and they will probably be mounted to the roof covering of our back/front porch (I forget what it's called...beadboard I think?, the Vinyl stuff on the roof of porches/etc...)

Anyways...that's not really my total concern, my concern is actually how they are wired up (In normal business environments for example).

For my setup I have a Patch Panel going into my 8-port switch, which is connected to a router. All the network stuff sits in my office closet. The wires all connect here (I wired up our house with cat6) so the wires are all mainly located up in the attic (Which thankfully I have walk-in access to)

My question is...how exactly should I wire it? I have a few options but i'd prefer to use what the standard is (and what a normal business would do when wiring cameras). This will be PoE and I have a PoE switch (or will be using an NVR with PoE)

Options:

1. Go straight from Patch Panel into the Camera (No Keystone or anything)
2. Go from Patch Panel a old work box (Nail to a joist/beam in the attic) that has a keystone plate (Then use a patch cable to go from the plate to the camera)
3. Go from a Patch Panel to a Keystone Port (no plate/junction box) then use a patch cable as in #2.

#2 seems the best setup, in case I need to move something, or adjust length and pull more cable after the cable has already been set. But im not sure how a business would normally do it.

Second question is....how exactly do these mount? Do I mount them TO something and then stuff the cables inside? or do I just have the cables for the camera (with the cat6 connected to it) just hanging out freely in the open attic space.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Second question is....how exactly do these mount? Do I mount them TO something and then stuff the cables inside? or do I just have the cables for the camera (with the cat6 connected to it) just hanging out freely in the open attic space.

1 is how I have my cameras wired. Here at work every camera is wired the same, direct to the camera with an RJ-45.

The hole under my camera was drilled with a 1 inch hole saw, all cables just tucked in and camera body screwed to the sofit :D

But that's just the way I did mine.

However you feel comfortable cabling is OK. No one way is the right way.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
In my setup, I preferred to tuck away the pigtails in a nice junction box (associated with each of the cam tipes I have). In each junction box, I left a male RJ45 plug on sufficient long UTP cable (in case you have to renew the connector, you'll end up cutting of couple of inches anyway). From these junction boxes, all fixed cams go straight into my POE NVR. All other networking equipment ends into a female patch panel, from where I can patch into either a managed switch or other specific gear (eg VTNS1060 for the VTO2000A & VTH1550 video doorbell combo).

But like @58chev wrote: there is no "best" way, you choose what suits your requirements most.

Good luck!
CC

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So im going to be purchasing a couple of cameras, and they will probably be mounted to the roof covering of our back/front porch (I forget what it's called...beadboard I think?, the Vinyl stuff on the roof of porches/etc...)

Anyways...that's not really my total concern, my concern is actually how they are wired up (In normal business environments for example).

For my setup I have a Patch Panel going into my 8-port switch, which is connected to a router. All the network stuff sits in my office closet. The wires all connect here (I wired up our house with cat6) so the wires are all mainly located up in the attic (Which thankfully I have walk-in access to)

My question is...how exactly should I wire it? I have a few options but i'd prefer to use what the standard is (and what a normal business would do when wiring cameras). This will be PoE and I have a PoE switch (or will be using an NVR with PoE)

Options:

2. Go from Patch Panel a old work box (Nail to a joist/beam in the attic) that has a keystone plate (Then use a patch cable to go from the plate to the camera)
3. Go from a Patch Panel to a Keystone Port (no plate/junction box) then use a patch cable as in #2.

#2 seems the best setup, in case I need to move something, or adjust length and pull more cable after the cable has already been set. But im not sure how a business would normally do it.

If you haven't, take the time to study this: cliff notes