Connect a sensor to alarm input of Hikvision NVR

cgull

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect an external sensor (in this case a trip beam) to my Hikvision camera which will in turn trigger an action on my newly acquired 16 channel Hikvision NVR. It looks like this setup should be possible but my NVR isn't responding to the sensor. With that said, I configured the camera to send me an email when the alarm input is triggered and it works perfectly. The sensor is an Optex AX-70TN trip beam sensor.

So how do I setup the NVR to listen to the alarm input from the camera? Here are a couple pics of my setup and screenshots of the NVR alarm configuration:

The trip beams (without the cover) connected to the alarm input of the Hikvision mini-dome DS-2CD2532-I(S):
setup.jpg

Alarm input setup screen in the NVR. The two Hikvision cameras are shown at the bottom:
setup1.jpg

I select the camera with IP 192.168.1.201 and select 'N.C.' for the type (which is correct for this sensor) and check the 'Enabled' box:
setup2.jpg

Clicking on the 'Settings' icon brings up the following screen (I select 'D4' which is the label for this camera):
setup3.jpg

I make sure 'Arming Schedule' is set for the full day (for each day of the week):
setup4.jpg

And last I define the actions I want for the alarm input from the camera (in this case just sound an alert and go full screen on the camera):
setup5.jpg

Obviously I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what it is!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you hookup a short wire and short/unshort it to trigger the alarm? find out if its hardware vs software first... obviously if a jumper wire dont trigger an alarm your configuration is bad; double check inputs etc.. if it does trigger an alarm you hooked your sensor up wrong, check grounding and continuity..

also make sure your using the right connections on the NVR, sometimes the common port (ground) for outputs is not shared with inputs, etc.. I recently ran into this when I tried to wire up ALARM_COM and ALARM_IN1; nothing happened.. when I switched ALARM_COM with GND everything fired right up.. you'd think a ground would be common but I guess not; the labels were misleading me.

Last edited by a moderator:

cgull

n3wb
Reaction score
The current setup with the sensor connected to the 'Alarm In' of the camera works (I get an email each time I trip the sensor) but the NVR is not picking up on the alarm status. Tonight I'll try connecting the trip beam sensor directly to the NVR to make sure it works as you recommend.

Am I wrong in thinking that the NVR can alarm from a sensor connected to the camera's Alarm In (without the sensor being connected directly to the NVR)?

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmm it should work the way you describe, or else the IP of the camera wouldn't show up under the Alarm section of the NVR.

You might have to check 'Notify Surveillance Center' ...sorry not many of our clients use sensors with these NVR so I am learning too >_<

Last edited:

cgull

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to respond but here's what I found after more troubleshooting:

I got it working with a different camera: the OEM version of the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW which is the 3MP cube camera pictured below. I have both cameras configured EXACTLY the same and the cube camera alerts the NVR whereas the Hikvision mini-dome does not. With that said both cameras send out email alerts when the Alarm In is triggered so I know the Hikvision mini-dome is able to do something with the Alarm In. The NVR, by the way, is OEM like the cube camera (purchased both from LTS Security).

The firmware of each camera is slightly different so I suspect the 'Notify Surveillance Center' function is an issue on the firmware of the Hikvision mini-dome.
OEM Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW Firmware: V5.1.2 build 140320 'Notify Surveillance Center' WORKS
Hikvision DS-2CD2532-I(S) Firmware: V5.1.2 build 140116 'Notify Surveillance Center' DOES NOT WORK

For reference: LEFT- Hikvision DS-2CD2532-I(S) RIGHT- OEM Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW
012ee65fa6883d0f96d44f806fa109d9e45b8e2bcf.jpg

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There seems to be a disconnect at times between the configuration settings of Hik NVRs and their cameras.
Did you open the camera's settings in a browser and set the alarm up there as well?

Vin Tekiel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the set up for the alarm input. (My camera arrived without documentation)...

So, I see on the alarm input connector some annotations ( 1/0/gnd/A ). Anyone could tell me how I should connect my wires coming from the PIR (well, actually coming from a relay, controlled by the beaglebone black witch receives the pir input)

Thank you,

Vin

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1 = Input
0 = Output
Gnd = Ground
A = Alarm

I presume, thats just a guess.... wire lil leads up to them, configure the camera to respond to an input change and touch em together.. your probably going to take the GND and the Input and wire them through your relay.. or perhaps ground and alarm.