Connect camera to NVR via powerline adapter?

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I have a 4k IP PoE cam that I want to mount in a shed outside of the house. The problem is that my NVR is in the attic/loft, so wiring the camera to the NVR would require a very long cable and would need to run along the garden fence or floor. Whilst the long cable would not be an issue, I don't feel comfortable running a cable through the garden and then through the house into the attic/loft. The shed does however have a power socket, so would it be possible to connect this camera to a powerline adapter in the shed and have it hooked up to my NVR? If so, how can I do this and what exactly would I require?

Reaction score
I used a powerline adapter from my garage into the house for about two years. It was mostly reliable, but suffered noise and dropouts. These devices have improved significantly since then. I can recommend TP-Link's AV2000 gigabit adapter. Works well, very reliable.

I suspected this particular item might not be available for 220VAC in the UK.
Looks like a similarly capable product is this one:

Last edited:

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use a TP-Link AV2000 based LAN, connecting my NVR and network switches in the loft to wherever in the house is the Blue Iris PC. I've two extra AV2000 units (already paired), for a future project using RPis with TVs display. Recently I had an issue with choppy audio and video, I must have disturbed the network cables in the loft. Switching the AV2000 in the loft off and on and a firm connection was re-established. This LAN connection has been well since. I've been impressed by how well they work.

I bought mine from Amazon UK and hey are still available.

Last edited:

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
So in my case, I already have a normal wired connection from my NVR to the router. So how do I go about connecting one of the cameras to the NVR using powerline adapters? Is it literally a case of connecting the camera to the powerline adapter and then connecting the NVR to the other powerline adapter?

Reaction score
So in my case, I already have a normal wired connection from my NVR to the router. So how do I go about connecting one of the cameras to the NVR using powerline adapters? Is it literally a case of connecting the camera to the powerline adapter and then connecting the NVR to the other powerline adapter?
Yup. Dead simple, that.

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
Do I need a special type of powerline adapter? Perhaps a PoE one? Or would most normal types work? Also would I need a PoE injector?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No you don't need a special type of powerline adapter but your cameras will need power, either POE from a suitable NVR, from a POE capable network switch or from a separate power supply connected to the mains.

Sited remotely and closer to your camera(s) where you have the 2nd adapter, you have a choice, either plug in a POE switch or plug in a power brick. Though not connected to my camera LAN via a mains powerlink, I use a 5 port Netgear GS305P here for 3 cameras, with room in the future for a forth camera, the fifth port goes up via a cable to a network switch by my NVR.

If you use a power brick that means you will be connecting two cables to your camera, a network cable and a power supply. It's better to terminate with a small POE capable network switch, unless the camera is power hungry.

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the powerline adapter power up the camera? Otherwise, instead of a PoE switch, shall I not just get a PoE powerline adapter or PoE injector? It is only one camera so not sure I want to get a switch...wanted to keep it as clean and uncluttered as possible

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The powerline adapters I've seen don't have POE. It would be news to me if there were any, but it doesn't mean there aren't. POE is a niche market for those with CCTV. It's a matter of sales volume, would a manufacturer recoup their outlay? Only one camera, then use a power brick plugged into the powerlink and run two cables to the camera.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes that looks promising, but don't just take my word for it.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice idea on the POE Injector jj007, well worth an experiment with just to see.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used a powerline adapter from my garage into the house for about two years. It was mostly reliable, but suffered noise and dropouts. These devices have improved significantly since then. I can recommend TP-Link's AV2000 gigabit adapter. Works well, very reliable.

I suspected this particular item might not be available for 220VAC in the UK.
Looks like a similarly capable product is this one:
I've used a pair of TP-LINK's AV1000's for over a year now, no hiccups. It's older, slower cousin ran for 3 years with maybe one glitch before lightning sent it to the electronic promised land.

Reaction score
The worst interference my AV2000 adapters encountered was a clothes iron with failing diodes. The old iron finally completely gave up, and the new one isn't noisy at all.

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
Also forgot to ask, by connecting the cam via powerline adapter, is the cam connected to the NVR in the same way if I connected it directly via ethernet? Or is it just connected to the home network and the NVR just streams it?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also for to ask, by connecting the cam via powerline adapter, is the cam connected to the NVR in the same way if I connected it directly via ethernet?
Yes, with regards to data. Think of the house wiring between the 2 adapters as an Ethernet cable.

jj007

n3wb
Reaction score
yes

no...just the link between the 2 adapters
I thought any active node on the network with the lowest speed would become the max speed of the network? In my case I already have a couple of AV1000 plugs around the house for other things so if I was to add an AV200 plug for the camera, surely that would make the whole network 200Mbps? I have one master plug connected to the router and several add on plugs connected to devices around the house - are you suggesting I have another master node to the NVR so the link between the NVR and the camera does not affect the other links?