Connect to IP Cameras via Public IP from Internal Network?

Stasis

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is not securely sound, but the camera views are of no value so I don't care. I have a HIK Vision NVR and a couple of cameras being accessed by the app on my phone. If I configure the app for the external public IP (with port forwarding), I can view the cameras when on cellular. However, if I am on the internal wifi network on my phone, I cannot connect to the NVR with the app configured to use the external public IP address. I must configure the app to use the internal IP, then I can connect from the wifi network. I am not sure why I would not be able to access the NVR from the wifi network when connecting via the public IP. I want to have a single NVR config on my phone, which is able to connect either way, when away on cellular or on the wifi network. Any help to resolve this would be appreciated!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Search for NAT hairpinning or NAT loopback. How to do depends on your router.

Or the better solution, don't port forward and use VPN instead. Set both addresses to the internal IP address.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
And it's not the fact that you don't care if someone hacks into the cam and sees you bathing your dog, etc....it's the possibility of the hacker turning your cam into a bot that performs DoS attacks on you and others without revealing themselves, peeks into your PC files and and slows down your network. :blankstare: