Connecting betewen two separate netowrks

Reaction score
Hi, everybody

I have to install 2 IP cameras Hikvision and 1 NVR Hikvision. They will be placed in two different places (garage and flat). There is one router in each location. I want to put the NVR and the one IP camera in the flat and to connect them into router 1. The other camera will be connects into the other router (router 2) which is placed in the garage. There is no physical link between both routers (I mean cable).
My qustion is how can I connect both network, so that the camera in the garage to records in the NVR.

Thank you!

DigitalADHD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do both routers have internet access with seperate external ip addresses? The easiest, less secure may be to allow port forwarding on (Router 2) to the management ip of the camera in your garage. Then on your NVR add the public ip of (Router 2) as a camera using the management port.

Depending on your router, you could create a site to site vpn so that the connection is encrypted? What is the distance between the two? Ideally a home run would better would think.

Sys Admin, ipcam N00B

Reaction score
The distance between the two routers is about 20 meters. They are in same residential building (garage and flat on 5-th floor). The routers are TP-link tl-wr740n. They have different static ip adresses from ISP. Can you please to explain me in details what must I do?

For example if:
External IP adress of router 1: 212.39.72.32
External IP adress of router 2:212.56.71.44
IP adress of camera 1 (in a flat): 192.168.0.27
IP adress of camera 2 (in garage): 192.168.0.32
IP adress of NVR: 192.168.0.134 (obtained form DHCP)

HHTP port: 80
RTSP port: 10554
SDK port: 8000

DigitalADHD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The first thing I'd ask is are you paying extra from your ISP for a network out in the garage? Because there are other options.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know where you are in the world but in the UK that set up would cost us double. We pay monthly line rental for each line installed.

DigitalADHD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you pay for each line? If so, Id look at getting a wireless access bridge, 20 meters isn't that far. You may save in the long run and is likely more secure.

Do you pay extra for a Static ip? Do you need one? You can use a service like ddns to update your external DNS a record with your routers ip address.

Apartment-wireless access point/router<-- wireless -->Garage-wireless client bridge<-- wire -->PoE or non-PoE switch depending on your needs<-- wire -->Camera

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Best bet would be to run a hard line from the router in the flat to the router in the garage. For the garage router, disable NAT and DCHP so that it just acts as a switch and assign it a static ip address in the range that the flat router assigns.

I have 3 cheap routers set up this way.

If you have coaxial cable out to the garage already and can't or don't want to run a new cat5e cable there, there's an option to do that as well. I am doing this exact setup in my own garage where I needed two cameras to access my network.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How to Add a Second Router to your Wireless (Wi-Fi) Network

Here's a good article on how to do that. If you make the SSID, security and password exactly the same as the router in your flat any device you take out there will automatically connect and as a bonus you'll have a wider Wi-Fi coverage.

For me, it's awesome walking the 250 ft from my house to the garage and just when I'm out of range from the router in my house, my phone picks up the router in the garage (acting as a WiFi access point) and I'm connected again automatically.

Reaction score
OK,
thanks to everyone for the help. I will decide what to do from all your suggestions.
Thank you!

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK,
thanks to everyone for the help. I will decide what to do from all your suggestions.
Thank you!
If they are two seperate Internet connections, you could run a VPN server on one Router and a Client on the other. That would Bridge the networks and you should be able to connect to the devices that way.
*** Please note I've never done this, so I'm not sure how the routing would work. ***