Connecting from external network

GaryK4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a new camera and I cannot get it to connect from outside of my local network. Previously I connected (2) other brands (Trendnet, Foscam) using the following method.
I set the HTTP port to my selected number in the camera. Then in the router, I set the port and local port to that same number and protocol to both. Dahua seems to need (2) ports one for tcp and one for udp, so I used (2) port numbers.
With the (2) prior cameras, I could enter 192.168.1.xxx: port or static external IP 104.xxx.xxx.xxx: port in a browser and they would bring up the login. However Dahua will not connect.
The camera did not come with a manual and there is none on line, just a simple installation sheet for hardware.

Any ideas what I need to get it to connect remotely?

WiKi page did not help. Sent a request to Dahua support and they have not responded.

Any ideas???

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryK4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone had success getting port forwarding to work with a Dahua camera? I have no problems with my Foscam cameras. But I can not get any help with my Dahua camera! I love the camera, but not the support.:(

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We all use VPN, at least those of us whom know what it is we are doing.. port forwarding is the wrong way.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We all use VPN, at least those of us whom know what it is we are doing.. port forwarding is the wrong way.
What is wrong with port forwarding?

VPN do you need to pay for one of these?

ben_r_

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is wrong with port forwarding?

VPN do you need to pay for one of these?
Yes but they are pretty cheap and can and should be used for many other things. I know SlickVPN is only $48/yr. There are many others out there too.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
uh no, vpn is free.. dont pay for it, host it on your router so you can remotely connect to your LAN securely with encryption.. paying someone else to host a VPN server is for hiding your origin IP, not what you want or need.

Your cameras are being exposed to the internet when you forward ports, when you use VPN only your VPN Server is exposed to the internet.. all passwords and video streams will be encrypted over the VPN, its overhead is tiny.

More than likely your router, computers and phones already have VPN Built in, you just have to set it up..

ben_r_

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Urgh, yes you are correct. Sorry about that post, I wasnt paying attention to the topic when I typed that.

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nayr, been looking into a vpn modem/router, would you reccomend an asus one which uses pptp?
or any other cheapish one that will run open vpn? Cheers

GaryK4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
google shows the ports required are 80 TCP, 37777 TCP, 37778 UDP. if you do not wish to use port 80 use the routers NAT/port redirect ( I.E remote port 80 local port 8080 )

may help
It turned out to require different ports than Foscam. The RTSP port (554) needed to be forwarded. It is working fine now.

Thanks

GaryK4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nayr, been looking into a vpn modem/router, would you reccomend an asus one which uses pptp?
or any other cheapish one that will run open vpn? Cheers
I would be interested in this as well.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
anything you could install DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato would do it.. PPPTP w/IPSec clients are already built into Windows/OSX/iOS/Android/Linux.. I prefer it to OpenVPN, no apps needed.

Its built into more consumer grade routers today than its not, its going to be defacto for any small business routers and up... check the spec sheets.

Raspberry Pi2 can do ~35Mbit PPTP+IPSec, if you can do linux.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i use a Asus router as it has openVPN inbuilt, Dratek router with dratek Os also supports openVPN PPPT and IPSec, or an old PC/laptop with linux and open vpn server installed Google will provide setup videos. (or a Raspberry as above )
A badly configured PPTP VPN is less secure than using port forwarding a vpn will give access to the whole network port forward will only give access to to the device the ports are forwarded to.......

there is nothing wrong with port forwarding if it fits the application use strong passwords but also look at the risk, the original op was setting up port forwarding for CCTV so if all of the cameras are external then the risk is they could watch the camera i can look at Google street view or stand out side your house whats the difference.

if you do use a VPN use IPSEC as @nayr says or OpenVPN. but also us complex passwords - p4a55w0rd! is not secure, stay away from dictionary words even if it swaps letter for numbers.im not trying to vpns are not the way to go, just setup what is in your ability we are not IT ninjas :)