Connecting IP cams to switch to PC - Can I do this?

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I want to get my IP cameras off my wireless network.
My motherboard has two LAN connections.
Can I connect a switch to one of the LAN ports with IP cameras?
Then I can use Blue Iris to control those cameras and use the other port for internet so I can see remotely?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not know about multiple LAN ports but other than that this is how I basically do mine.
AP\Router, cameras and computer LAN all connected to POE Switch. BI on computer captures and records all cameras through switch to HD and provides access via internet to mobile app.

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can definitely do cameras --> switch --> PC and have that as a LAN so they are not accessible to the outside world. You can then open a port on the other network for the 2nd port and have remote access to the machine with BI.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can definitely do cameras --> switch --> PC and have that as a LAN so they are not accessible to the outside world. You can then open a port on the other network for the 2nd port and have remote access to the machine with BI.
Thanks - Do I need an unmanged or managed port. And will 10/100Mbps be enough for 8 x 1080p cameras?
Since I am not using a router on my camera network, do I just set the IP addresses manually using my router and connect to them via the switch. Since I can't configure IP addresses on the switch.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are most people using BI going IP camera > switch > router > BI computer ??
After doing some research, I believe I need a router to assign the IP addresses.