Connecting Issue to OpenVPN set up on ASUS RT-AX86U

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just set up the OpenVPN on my ASUS router, via stock fimrware. I also set up the DDNS on the router. I exported the config file to my Android phone. Everytime it's timing out and not able to connect successfully. I changed the passwords several times so this is not an issue. Not sure what else to check for.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I just set up the OpenVPN on my ASUS router, via stock fimrware. I also set up the DDNS on the router. I exported the config file to my Android phone. Everytime it's timing out and not able to connect successfully. I changed the passwords several times so this is not an issue. Not sure what else to check for.
When testing the VPN connectivity, are you still at the location of the RT-AX860? If so, be sure to disable the local WiFi connection on the phone.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When testing the VPN connectivity, are you still at the location of the RT-AX860? If so, be sure to disable the local WiFi connection on the phone.
Yea, i turned off the wifi, using the carrier network.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you review the router logs yet?

Log into your router's admin panel. Go to Advanced Settings -> System Log -> General Log.
You will see the connection logs here.

Optional... clear the logs to capture a new VPN event
Click the Clear button to clear previous logs. The Logs page will become blank.
Go back to the OpenVPN profile. ...
New log entires will appear. ...

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what I have but i don't understand it:)

May 15 10:28:14 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth7: Deauth_ind 1A:07:60:3A:83:4F, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
May 15 10:28:29 acsd: eth7: NONACSD channel switching to channel spec: 0xe12a (40/80)

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what I have but i don't understand it:)

May 15 10:28:14 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth7: Deauth_ind 1A:07:60:3A:83:4F, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
May 15 10:28:29 acsd: eth7: NONACSD channel switching to channel spec: 0xe12a (40/80)
That activity looks like a device leaving (deauth) a wifi network of the router. Does not seem to be any vpn-type activity :/

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure why the router log didn't show anything for the OpenVPN connection.

This is the openvpn log from the phone:

[May 15, 2023, 09:01:59] Transport Error: Transport error on 'XXX.asuscomm.com: NETWORK_EOF_ERROR

[May 15, 2023, 09:01:59] Client terminated, restarting in 5000 ms...

[May 15, 2023, 09:01:59] EVENT: TRANSPORT_ERROR info='Transport error on 'XXXX.asuscomm.com: NETWORK_EOF_ERROR'

[May 15, 2023, 09:02:04] EVENT: RECONNECTING

[May 15, 2023, 09:02:04] EVENT: RESOLVE

[May 15, 2023, 09:02:04] Contacting XXXXXX via TCPv4

[May 15, 2023, 09:02:04] EVENT: WAIT

[May 15, 2023, 09:02:04] Connecting to [XXXX.asuscomm.com]:XXXX (XX.XX.XXX.XX) via TCPv4

[May 15, 2023, 09:02:04] TCP recv EOF

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you register & set-up your ddns thru Asus' service?

Use ipchicken.com from your home network to determine your public IP (if you do not know it already)

As a test... replace the "XXXX.asuscomm.com" with your public IP on the ovpn client and try connecting via cel carrier

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea, the DDNS os set up thru ASUS router.

I just tried using the WAN IP as you have suggested, it timed out as well on the open vpn client on the phone via carrier network.

Did you register & set-up your ddns thru Asus' service?

Use ipchicken.com from your home network to determine your public IP (if you do not know it already)

As a test... replace the "XXXX.asuscomm.com" with your public IP on the ovpn client and try connecting via cel carrier

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I just tried using the WAN IP as you have suggested, it timed out as well on the open vpn client on the phone via carrier network.
Last error posted does not denote timeout. It show the latest ovpn client profile did not import correctly. If you have not already... try importing latest profile again

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last error posted does not denote timeout. It show the latest ovpn client profile did not import correctly. If you have not already... try importing latest profile again
I can't connect via the ip address of the host. I can only import the config file from ASUS and it's using DDNS.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to export the config file from the OpenVPN tab in the router, then get that file physically onto your cell phone, take note of its location on the phone.
Now open the OpenVPN app on your phone, import the file from the location on the phone.
DO NOT use the URL method as you are now trying.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to export the config file from the OpenVPN tab in the router, then get that file physically onto your cell phone, take note of its location on the phone.
Now open the OpenVPN app on your phone, import the file from the location on the phone.
DO NOT use the URL method as you are now trying.
Thats's exactly what I did but somehow it didn't connect, so SpacemanSpiff was wondering if i could connect via http/ url directly.