Connecting Issue to OpenVPN set up on ASUS RT-AX86U

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspect my suggested test of using your WAN IP instead of your DDNS on the client will not work because the VPN server config is using the DDNS (as OP alluded to). @onyxlinkia would have to redo the VPN server to reflect the WAN IP, and bring the config to the client for testing in order to rule out a DDNS mis-configuration

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I gave up with this option. I found the zero tier and decided to give it a try, so far it's working. Any of the downside using zero tier vs hosting my own VPN server?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
You may or may not be interested but the ASUSWRT-MERLIN firmware is pretty good and may resolve whatever issue you are having. I have Merlin on an RT-AC68U and an RT-AC86U with OpenVPN and it works great. And make sure that when you test your OpenVPN connection from home you turn off WiFi to force the mobile phone to go through the cell phone tower (remote access) otherwise no workie.

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I first set up openvpn on my asus, I spent many hours of frustration with the config file until I figured out that attaching the file to an email (send to myself from PC so I could open on phone) was corrupting the file. Had to save to flash drive, then attach to phone and save, worked first time after that. Can't remember if I tried using phone to configure vpn on router, it was years ago.

Still running openvpn, but also running zerotier that's easier for all involved...

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I first set up openvpn on my asus, I spent many hours of frustration with the config file until I figured out that attaching the file to an email (send to myself from PC so I could open on phone) was corrupting the file. Had to save to flash drive, then attach to phone and save, worked first time after that. Can't remember if I tried using phone to configure vpn on router, it was years ago.

Still running openvpn, but also running zerotier that's easier for all involved...
ncpilot, you might have just solved the mystery for my issue, I did use gmail to send the config file to my phone, and as you have pointed out, it might be corrupted.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue is resolved. I transferred the config file to my phone directly via usb. I was able to see the Asus system log and identified the error, saying the port was used somewhere, which is strange, but anyway I changed to a random number and it connects.