connecting NVR to blue iris

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My configuration is this. DUAL Nic computer with one nic connected to a poe switch which power the camera. network is 192.168.55.X
The computer's 2nd NIC is connected to the internet.

The POE switch is has 2 uplink ports. One of the uplink ports is connected the the 2nd NIC 192.168.55.X

I have a DAHUA NVR that I havent been using so I thought I would run as well. I have connected blue iris to the NVR before but used the NVR to power the cams and added the cams.

My Question ls this. DO I connect the NVR to the 2nd Uplink port? I will probably have to have all the IP addresses re-assigned. WHen I connect this way, I see the CAM IPS show up but cant connect.

Any advice? I couldnt find a thread on this,

Thanks

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My configuration is this. DUAL Nic computer with one nic connected to a poe switch which power the camera. network is 192.168.55.X
The computer's 2nd NIC is connected to the internet.

The POE switch is has 2 uplink ports. One of the uplink ports is connected the the 2nd NIC 192.168.55.X

I have a DAHUA NVR that I havent been using so I thought I would run as well. I have connected blue iris to the NVR before but used the NVR to power the cams and added the cams.

My Question ls this. DO I connect the NVR to the 2nd Uplink port? I will probably have to have all the IP addresses re-assigned. WHen I connect this way, I see the CAM IPS show up but cant connect.

Any advice? I couldnt find a thread on this,

Thanks
If you are using the Dahua as a the remote access server, you would connect the uplink port to one of the Cam ports, and assign the internal cam interface of the NVR to the same ip address pool of the cams, but I would also insert a Gb router like a TP link ER605 and configure it with the same network address scheme and disable the dhcp server. Then connect the NVR cam port to one of the router's lan port and the up link port of the switch to another LAN port on the router. This will mitigate speed and this will keep the BI server's nic connection at 1Gb. Otherwise, the uplink port will downgrade to 100Mb if you directly connect the cam port to the uplink port.

If you are using the NVR as just a mirroring device and not using it for web sessions, configure its LAN port (which is the 1Gb interface) for the CAM IP pool and connect it to the uplink port.

Just remember that you should add another user to the cams some have two user lists for rstp and onvif connections. Some just have one. As most cameras will turn off the other connections once a streaming host uses the default admin login.

Last edited:

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are using the Dahua as a the remote access server, you would connect the uplink port to one of the Cam ports, and assign the internal cam interface of the NVR to the same ip address pool of the cams, but I would also insert a Gb router like a TP link ER605 and configure it with the same network address scheme and disable the dhcp server. Then connect the NVR cam port to one of the router's lan port and the up link port of the switch to another LAN port on the router. This will mitigate speed and this will keep the BI server's nic connection at 1Gb. Otherwise, the uplink port will downgrade to 100Mb if you directly connect the cam port to the uplink port.

If you are using the NVR as just a mirroring device and not using it for web sessions, configure its LAN port (which is the 1Gb interface) for the CAM IP pool and connect it to the uplink port.

Just remember that you should add another user to the cams some have two user lists for rstp and onvif connections. Some just have one. As most cameras will turn off the other connections once a streaming host uses the default admin login.
Thank you!!!

Ollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Hi,
I'm about to have the same router (er605). I don't have a switch, since I have 3 peripherals (XVR-NVR, 2 cams) which I'm going to connect directly to the router (does it make sense?)
As I understand from you, a switch is needed for keeping the Giga speed. in my case the ISP speed is limited to 100Mbps so it doesn't matter (this is the max I can get in my area).
I believe, that I can configure couple of lan ports to work with a specific subnet (e.g. port-lan1 and port-lan2 will have a single subnet of LAN1 - by tagging the port-lans under LAN1).
Does it mean that all devices of different lan ports will be considered to be at the same subnet?
Does it matter, if each lan-port has a different subnet (one of LAN1 and one of LAN2)?
As for VPN - I wonder whether a VPN client will have access to all lans --> all subnets? - any additional configuration is needed for that?
Thanks.

Last edited: