connecting remotely

turq

n3wb
Reaction score
My set up
A windows 10 dedicated machine running BI. 4 cameras, 2 from Andy (thanks!) and 2 Amcrest. An AT&T Pace 5268AC router. An Asus RT-AC3200 with OpenVPN/PIA slaved to the Pace router. Everything is on and running great.

The problems
I cannot connect to BI remotely. I understand that I have to port forward, but I must be doing something wrong, because no matter what I try, I cannot get it to work. I was not sure which device to port forward? So I attempted to do both, the Asus and Pace routers opening port 81. The reason I have two routers is apparently you can't run OpenVPN with that Pace router. So the Asus is a good work around, while giving me flexibility at the same time.

Also not sure this is applicable to this site (for me it's all interconnected) I cannot connect my IPhone to the Asus OpenVPN network using the OpenVPN app. I have exported the OPVN file to my Iphone numerous times, trying different configurations, to no avail. OpenVpn with PIA is working great on the Asus. I can also connect to OpenVPN-PIA using the app, I just can't connect to the Asus OpenVPN profile with the app.

DISCLAIMER: I am an old guy, and most if this stuff makes my head hurt. I have learned a lot, and feel like I am really close to the finish line. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My set up
A windows 10 dedicated machine running BI. 4 cameras, 2 from Andy (thanks!) and 2 Amcrest. An AT&T Pace 5268AC router. An Asus RT-AC3200 with OpenVPN/PIA slaved to the Pace router. Everything is on and running great.

The problems
I cannot connect to BI remotely. I understand that I have to port forward, but I must be doing something wrong, because no matter what I try, I cannot get it to work. I was not sure which device to port forward? So I attempted to do both, the Asus and Pace routers opening port 81(I think). The reason I have two routers is apparently you can't run OpenVPN with that Pace router. So the Asus is a good work around, while giving me flexibility at the same time.

Also not sure this is applicable to this site (for me it's all interconnected) I cannot connect my IPhone to the Asus OpenVPN network using the OpenVPN app. I have exported the OPVN file to my Iphone numerous times, trying different configurations, to no avail. OpenVpn with PIA is working great on the Asus. I can also connect to OpenVPN-PIA using the app, I just can't connect to the Asus OpenVPN profile with the app.

DISCLAIMER: I am an old guy, and most if this stuff makes my head hurt. I have learned a lot, and feel like I am really close to the finish line. Any help would be appreciated.
You dont have to port forward. Disable PIA, its useless and preventing openvpn from working. In the blue iris mobile app use the local ip for wan and lan.

turq

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL....I spent days trying to figure that out. Thank you ! Everything is working great now. I thought PIA was necessary to this whole equation. Since I have you, do you mind telling me where I find direct to disk on BI? My CPU usage is pretty high. Thank you again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL....I spent days trying to figure that out. Thank you ! Everything is working great now. I thought PIA was necessary to this whole equation. Since I have you, do you mind telling me where I find direct to disk on BI? My CPU usage is pretty high. Thank you again!
See wiki on top for optimization. It's in the record tab of each camera under format.. you need to go to each camera and do this.

turq

n3wb
Reaction score
Great...I was looking in the general options category. This site has walked me through everything. I would not have been able to do it without all the great contributions from people like you!