Connector cable removal?

oakgibbon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

This seems like a design flaw with HikVision cameras... I don't want to drill a hole 3/4" on my house exterior when a 1/4" to pass some Cat5 cable would do. Does anybody know if the camera can be disassembled and the connector cable unplugged? I rather pass it through from the other side that way and plug it back into the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

This seems like a design flaw with HikVision cameras... I don't want to drill a hole 3/4" on my house exterior when a 1/4" to pass some Cat5 cable would do. Does anybody know if the camera can be disassembled and the connector cable unplugged? I rather pass it through from the other side that way and plug it back into the camera.
its not a design flaw, its intentional...there are cameras that can do this but they are more expensive....
the solution is to use a junction box...they are designed for the camera and will fit and look perfect.

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Agreed oakgibbon, this can be a problem.

Rather than dismantle the Camera to a point that may compromise its performance in the long run or cut off and re-terminate the pig tail my preference is usually to fit the Camera off on a Deep Base.

Especially on a brick wall this allows you to easily make a small hole through a mortar line, pass your Cat5e cable through then terminate it with the weather proof boot. The whole lot can then be tucked neatly into the Deep Base as the Camera is attached. Good and secure, weatherproof and the end result looks professional to boot. I pay about A$30 for a Deep Base, worth every cent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed oakgibbon, this can be a problem.

Rather than dismantle the Camera to a point that may compromise its performance in the long run or cut off and re-terminate the pig tail my preference is usually to fit the Camera off on a Deep Base.

Especially on a brick wall this allows you to easily make a small hole through a mortar line, pass your Cat5e cable through then terminate it with the weather proof boot. The whole lot can then be tucked neatly into the Deep Base as the Camera is attached. Good and secure, weatherproof and the end result looks professional to boot. I pay about A$30 for a Deep Base, worth every cent.
the junction boxes are available for 10-15 dollars.

oakgibbon

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have a base for my bullet cam, but there's no base for the mini dome. I'm mounting that one in an area with a low reach so I wanted to minimize how much it protrudes. oh well.

bamix

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The DS-1280ZJ-DM22 Junction Box Deep Base for Hikvision Mini Dome Cameras may still be an option...