considering a Sunba 601-D20XB-P2P

kroorda

n3wb
Reaction score
My name is Kent. I am in Colorado and I'd like to get a camera that would allow anyone to view an Eagle's nest via the camera and an internet connection and a computer. I would like the camera to provide a view of the Eagle's nest from about 100 feet away. I don't have a big budget so I am considering a Sunba 601-D20XB P2P camera. I don't have a lot of experience with IP cameras and was/am wondering if you think this camera would be a good choice for me. (I want to be able to view this camera from any computer over an internet connection.) Thank you for your advice.
Kent
Thanks in advance for your help. :)

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should have one next week. Im in the process of returning the 501-20XB to sunba. They both use the same optics, but the night vision on the 601 (BLACK FACE) is much better. The day time quality is about what and what but the 601 has a bit faster focus since it is considered to be a speed dome. Also for me on the 501 I cant stand the fact that there is no tilt up when zooming in on a object. The really only downfall is that the 601 is tad larger but a much better option from what I have seen. Will know for sure in a week or so :)

kroorda

n3wb
Reaction score
Angelo: Thank you for the reply. The 601 should work better for you as it looks like it will be able to look up about 15 degrees.
This IP camera stuff is fairly new to me, and I'm not sure how user friendly the CMS software is. If I could contact you for help (if I need it :) ), that would be great.
Thank you.

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Angelo: Thank you for the reply. The 601 should work better for you as it looks like it will be able to look up about 15 degrees.
This IP camera stuff is fairly new to me, and I'm not sure how user friendly the CMS software is. If I could contact you for help (if I need it :) ), that would be great.
Thank you.
Sure no problem. CMS to me is pretty straight forward and simple to use. I here allot of bad vibes about it I guess because it's not as feature rich as some of the others. However I don't require much, and just record 24/7. I also picked up a Sunba NVR which also uses a version of CMS. For 50.00 and the cost of a hard drive...I really can't complain :).

kroorda

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I'll be setting up my camera so that it can be viewed from the web by anyone. (We have a large Osprey nest in a tree next to our house, and the purpose of the camera will be to monitor the nest). Thanks again for your help. I should have the camera in a couple of weeks! :)

kroorda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Angelo,
I tried to send you a P.M. but the forum wouldn't let me since I haven't posted 5 messages yet. So....
I received the new Sunba 601 PTZ camera today and it really looks like a nice camera. I have it powered up and connected to my computer. I finally managed to get the CMS software set up, but it looks like I have to reinstall it each time I want to use it.??
Once I am into CMS, it tells me that I have to install a camera using Device Manager. When I click on device manager, the option for searching for a camera is shaded out, so I can't use it. I do also need to change the subnet on the new camera so that it will work on my network. I want to change it to: 192.168.2.201

I do have Teamwork on my computer, so if you would like to go online with my computer and show me what do to, we can do that. My email is: kentlrda@live.com
My phone is: 970-627-xxxx

Thanks so much,
Kent Roorda

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Kent, You should only have to install cms software one time. Did you unzip the file and istall it to your local hardrive. Also where did you get the softwae from the disk or sunba website?

Hello Angelo,
I tried to send you a P.M. but the forum wouldn't let me since I haven't posted 5 messages yet. So....
I received the new Sunba 601 PTZ camera today and it really looks like a nice camera. I have it powered up and connected to my computer. I finally managed to get the CMS software set up, but it looks like I have to reinstall it each time I want to use it.??
Once I am into CMS, it tells me that I have to install a camera using Device Manager. When I click on device manager, the option for searching for a camera is shaded out, so I can't use it. I do also need to change the subnet on the new camera so that it will work on my network. I want to change it to: 192.168.2.201

I do have Teamwork on my computer, so if you would like to go online with my computer and show me what do to, we can do that. My email is: kentlrda@live.com
My phone is: 970-627-xxxx

Thanks so much,
Kent Roorda

kroorda

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, Thank you for your response. I downloaded the CMS software from the Sunba website and I did only install it once. Unfortunately, when I try to add the camera to CMS-Device Manager, the 'Add-camera' button is shaded out and inoperable. I'm presently emailing Sunba and it looks like they are going to try a Teamviewer session with me. I'll let you know what comes of it. Thanks :)

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, Thank you for your response. I downloaded the CMS software from the Sunba website and I did only install it once. Unfortunately, when I try to add the camera to CMS-Device Manager, the 'Add-camera' button is shaded out and inoperable. I'm presently emailing Sunba and it looks like they are going to try a Teamviewer session with me. I'll let you know what comes of it. Thanks :)
in the cms device manager, you must create a area first. Once you create an area it will then allow you to add the camera. Once you add the camera you can use device manager to change the ip address to your subnet.

kroorda

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, That (creating a zone) allowed me to see the camera IP and change that IP to match my router subnet.
Is it normal for the CMS software not to save any information learned from a session? Each time I open CMS, it acts like it is the first time it has ever been opened.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kroorda how is the motion detection on that cam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kroorda

n3wb
Reaction score
Mando, I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still working on getting the camera into my network so that I'll be able to view it from the internet. However, I must say that I am extremely impressed with all it's features and construction. For $307, it is one heck of a camera. Zoom from 4.7 to 94mm. 20X digital zoom. Pan 360 degrees, Tilt from straight down to 60 degrees up! The most difficult part is the CMS software. It is really difficult to interpret and figure out. Later this evening, I am going to have a Teamviewer session with someone at Sunba and hopefully, I'll get things figured out after that session.
:)

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, That (creating a zone) allowed me to see the camera IP and change that IP to match my router subnet.
Is it normal for the CMS software not to save any information learned from a session? Each time I open CMS, it acts like it is the first time it has ever been opened.
cms should remeber the cameras once set up. When you close the program it takes several minites for the zone to show the setup camera but it will after sevreral mins.

stewall

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, Guys.
Just reading your posts as I, too, have just received my Sunba 20X camera.
I had trouble with the camera in Device Manager. I downloaded all the software from their site and there is a separate Device Manager. I used this one first and it kept losing the camera. I then opened the CMS sapp and used the Device Manager within this program. As stated above, I set an area first then I used the search IP and it found the camera on 192.168.1.144 (The paperwork says it should be found on 192.168.1.10 but it did not appear there) My Router (a Surfboard) shows the device at .144 as an iPad - my wife has one- Going to be interesting to see what happens when she turns the iPad on tonight.
I am trying the 15 day free Blue Iris software as well and it looks good. Not much luck with the iSpy program
I am also fairly novice at this networking stuff and it will undoubtedly take me some time to get it running so I can access it from the web. I recall docs saying that this camera cannot use HTTPS which would be necessary for non-public material.
I am watching this thread with great interest. Please keep posting your progress and discoveries as I have a lot to learn.

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, Guys.
Just reading your posts as I, too, have just received my Sunba 20X camera.
I had trouble with the camera in Device Manager. I downloaded all the software from their site and there is a separate Device Manager. I used this one first and it kept losing the camera. I then opened the CMS sapp and used the Device Manager within this program. As stated above, I set an area first then I used the search IP and it found the camera on 192.168.1.144 (The paperwork says it should be found on 192.168.1.10 but it did not appear there) My Router (a Surfboard) shows the device at .144 as an iPad - my wife has one- Going to be interesting to see what happens when she turns the iPad on tonight.
I am trying the 15 day free Blue Iris software as well and it looks good. Not much luck with the iSpy program
I am also fairly novice at this networking stuff and it will undoubtedly take me some time to get it running so I can access it from the web. I recall docs saying that this camera cannot use HTTPS which would be necessary for non-public material.
I am watching this thread with great interest. Please keep posting your progress and discoveries as I have a lot to learn.

You can change the ip address of the camera to whatever you like in cms. Right click on the camera view screen and go to devicecofig then network. Change the ip and apply/save.

stewall

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that info but seeing it seems to like that location, who am I to argue with a camera?
Just checked out the night vision on the Sunba; I am impressed with it.
The PTZ was also working smoothly for the first time until I pressed the round button in the middle of the Pan controls and then it held up and started stuttering. I thought the button was either to send it to an original set point or to stop the PTZ action. Do you know what it is supposed to do?

stewall

n3wb
Reaction score
Also meant to say that the iPad is now at .50 and the device at .144 is no longer showing ! ?
I know I saw it earlier as I checked the MAC so I know it was there. Although it is supposed to be on all the time it is plugged in (right?) how come it is not showing now?

kroorda

n3wb
Reaction score
Stewall: Well, I've learned quite a bit about the camera, and the CMS software in the last day or two. The people from Sunba have been quite responsive and helpful. I must say that their CMS software leaves a lot (of intuition) to be desired. It's very difficult to determine if you are saving a setting or not and getting in and out of the Main Menu (of the camera) is a 'discovery adventure'. Now that Sunba has helped me, I would be willing to help you. However I will be out of town today (Wednesday) and won't be available until tomorrow. In the meantime, whether you have me help you, or you have Sunba help you, please download the 'private' version of Teamviewer from www.teamviewer.com . That way, we can work on it together and you can learn how to 'move around' and work with things. Likewise, if/when we have a Teamviewer session, please have the camera powered up and connected to your router. Kent

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that info but seeing it seems to like that location, who am I to argue with a camera?
Just checked out the night vision on the Sunba; I am impressed with it.
The PTZ was also working smoothly for the first time until I pressed the round button in the middle of the Pan controls and then it held up and started stuttering. I thought the button was either to send it to an original set point or to stop the PTZ action. Do you know what it is supposed to do?
The Ptz center button should bring up some hidden menu settings for the IR lights that you will niot see in CMS or through the webUi.

First things first is you need to find the correct ip of the camera. Cycle the power and run a scan using devicemanger. Once you get the ip you should now be able to login using ur web browser http://192.168.0.xxx or trough CMS software.