Considering moving from Hikvision to Blue Iris

robintx

n3wb
Reaction score
Good Morning/Afternoon folks. I have a Hikvision 8 port NVR at my property with 6 cameras on it. It has served me well, but I am really interested in some of the new facial/car/person recognition features that are coming out. These cameras are used on the external walls of a vacation home that we rent out. I get too many false alarms (even with limiting coverage areas and dropping sensitivity) , and spend way too much time scrolling through bugs and birds.

I am considering Blue Iris as an alternative, but would like some opinions. My Priorities for the new system are:
1 Reduce False Alarms
2 Maintain a good ecosystem of camera options
3 Be ready for newer, more intelligent cameras that can do things such as people counting, etc

Thanks in Advance -

Rob

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris is great and allows for a wider mix of camera brands than an NVR can and you can dial these in really good to reduce false alarms, but a lot of us are experiencing better control of false alarms through the AI technology of the cameras themselves.

But, Blue Iris is a recording program and the AI features that you refer to have to come from within the camera itself and you pull ONVIF triggers into Blue Iris or you use a 3rd party platform like Deepstack to bring them into Blue Iris. Something like people counting or car or person recognition is not available native to Blue Iris.

robintx

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris is great and allows for a wider mix of camera brands than an NVR can and you can dial these in really good to reduce false alarms, but a lot of us are experiencing better control of false alarms through the AI technology of the cameras themselves.

But, Blue Iris is a recording program and the AI features that you refer to have to come from within the camera itself and you pull ONVIF triggers into Blue Iris or you use a 3rd party platform like Deepstack to bring them into Blue Iris. Something like people counting or car or person recognition is not available native to Blue Iris.
Thanks Wittaj - I will search through the AI camera threads. Seems like it's worth it to pay an extra 50 to 100.00 per camera to save me hundreds of hours over the typical camera lifespan.

Makes it even easier in that instance - I can pilot a camera or two via their web interface, find one I like, and then deploy them with BI.

Thanks for the input!