Considering moving to PC blue iris, versus current lorex nvr. Questions, comments invited.

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been using lorex nvrs for a few years, tired of the software they use.
Here's my layout....

Home network, 40+ clients wired and wireless. Asus GT11000 router, 2 other asus routers in AImesh mode. All networking works fine atm.
Lorex NVR is cabled to local network as well. I can view on PC, or switch source on samsung tv to hdmi for nvr viewing.
9 cameras, 4k, setting future expansion number to 16 possible total, for now. All are ONVIF. 1 of the 9 is a ptz, should be no problem in BI.
I will be fixing up an older pc by adding drives, ssd for boot and wd purple for cameras. This older pc will only be used for blue iris, -maybe- in the future running homeassistant in docker, that (HA) currently is on a Odroid nuc.
Older PC, i7-9700K, 16gig, z370 MB. No graphics card currently. That, and all drives were swapped to new build.
I'm going to record 24/7, and plan on using the deepstack ai, i've seen how to set it up on the hookup (youtube)
I see the WD purple 10-tb on sale for 318, I was thinking that's a good amount of storage. Or, might use the 6tb purple currently in the lorex nvr.

So, here's a few questions that I've learned I need to ask, so far.

Is it recommended to get an add on NIC card to keep the cameras on their own network, although I want to be able to access BI remotely and locally (tv and PC) for viewing?
Can I use both the 6tb purple and a second wd purple for camera storage through BI ?
is 9+ cameras going to bog down my current router? I do have an extra newer router (asus RX-55) if that's needed somewhere in this setup.
POE switch, I know is needed. I think I see where you just plug all 9+ cameras into the POE switch, then plug poe switch into a/the router (right?) or, using a second nic, should I possibly plug poe straight to PC second NIC, then use primary nic for current home network for access?
I need recommendations on POE switch boxes to use with this setup.. I saw a 16 port unmanaged switch on amazon for around 159.00. ?? Amazon.com: MokerLink 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch, 2 Gigabit Uplink, 250W IEEE802.3af/at, Rackmount Unmanaged Plug and Play Ethernet Switch : Electronics
Will I gain anything by using a cheaper graphics card, versus the CPU integrated ? I do want higher quality video where possible.

Using what I have now, getting purple drive for data and ssd for booting the older pc, which poe switch to buy, anything else I'm missing? And if I need to add/clarify anything, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered the Netgear gs319pp, looks like what I need. Other questions stand.
I did get another copy of windows, as this pc will be considered new.

Edit: netgear poe GS316PP. Link in further post.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Plug the PC into the PoE switch and plug the PoE switch into the router. Running that many cameras through a router will bog things down more than likely, especially if you have WiFi cameras coming in through that router already.

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plug the PC into the PoE switch and plug the PoE switch into the router. Running that many cameras through a router will bog things down more than likely, especially if you have WiFi cameras coming in through that router already.
So the poe switch hooks to the router -and- the PC ?
The 9 cameras are plugged in ethernet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
So the poe switch hooks to the router -and- the PC ?
The 9 cameras are plugged in ethernet.

Yes, like this -

Internet > Router > PoE Switch > PC(s) & Cameras

The PC can reach the internet through the router connection.

For security, it's a better idea to do something like this -

Internet > Router > Switch > Blue Iris PC NIC1
-----------------------------------------Blue Iris PC NIC2 > PoE switch > Cameras

Secure Network

VPN Primer

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So for argument sake, the extra nic card may be a future upgrade. So, for now, with a dedicated PC running blue iris, the PC having 1 ethernet port, and that -NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE+ Switch (GS316PP) - with 16 x PoE+ @ 183W- (Amazon.com)
Router -> POE switch(cameras) -> PC.

That will basically use the poe switch like a regular network switch and act like the pc was plugged straight into the router-correct ?
Or, would it be that impactful to the router to get a NIC card to run the cameras then?
I understand it'd be more secure that way, with a second NIC on the pc, but was wondering only about router load for this question. I though I read somewhere that someone had done something like :

Internet > router > BI PC nic 1
and then- cameras > POE switch > BI PC nic 2.

I may not have read that right, please correct.

Keeping in mind, I DO want to be able to view the cameras through the BI app remotely, and also want to somehow get them to be viewed on my Samsung smart tv.

I think you adding a plain switch in the first line of install threw me, I only have it currently Internet-router-PC.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
For a single, flat network to start:

Internet > Router > Single uplink connection from switch to Router > Switch > PC, cams, and everything else.

Next would be to split things out to two NICs/switches and segregate cams from everything else. Or VLANS to do the same logically.

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotcha. That's what I was thinking. Getting late, and this old man is getting tired, so let the misreading begin lol :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
NIC's cards are cheap. I bought one recently for around $25 and that was for a good one - I wanted an Intel chip as in my main system I had some bad motherboards based around some of the others. You can get a basic NIC for as little as $10 or so.

There's really no need to compromise your security for $10. Just ensure whatever PC you buy it has a free PCI-e slot, although some can now use M.2 instead (note each type is specific to it's slot and you have to buy accordingly). Personally, I'd stick with PCi-e.

There's one here for $14 with a high star rating on reviews:

I know nothing about the brand or product btw.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For a single, flat network to start:

Internet > Router > Single uplink connection from switch to Router > Switch > PC, cams, and everything else.

Next would be to split things out to two NICs/switches and segregate cams from everything else. Or VLANS to do the same logically.
K, noob here. Not very computer savvy. This is my set up:
T-Mobile home internet modem
TP-Link 8 port gb desktop switch
TP-Link router (in AP mode)
YuanLey 18 port PoE switch
Dedicated BI computer
Lorex N881A6 NVR 16ch
8-4k bullet cams, 2 ptz cams.
What is the order I should have things in.
Have a old Asus router that I can do OpenVPN on. I know it'll probably have to do the extra NIC.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
K, noob here. Not very computer savvy. This is my set up:
T-Mobile home internet modem
TP-Link 8 port gb desktop switch
TP-Link router (in AP mode)
YuanLey 18 port PoE switch
Dedicated BI computer
Lorex N881A6 NVR 16ch
8-4k bullet cams, 2 ptz cams.
What is the order I should have things in.
Have a old Asus router that I can do OpenVPN on. I know it'll probably have to do the extra NIC.
If you have a BI computer, you don't need that NVR.

If you must have the NVR, put all cameras, NVR, and BI computer onto that POE switch.

"T-Mobile home internet modem" is this just the modem or it is a firewall/router as well?

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have a BI computer, you don't need that NVR.

If you must have the NVR, put all cameras, NVR, and BI computer onto that POE switch.

"T-Mobile home internet modem" is this just the modem or it is a firewall/router as well?
Just a modem. Only has 2 ports that's why I have a 8 port switch. It's wifi is not strong so that's why I have the TP-Link router in AP mode.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Meanwhile, continuing in my hijacked thread... :)

I have gotten the system built, need to get a monitor for it before I can run it. I did purchase a TP link NIC card for 15.00.
To be honest I really don't know much about doing anything with that second nic. I have read, as also said here, where it would be more secure to add the POE switch and cams to that 2nd nic (versus computers built in one).
So, with my newer asus router, and running windows 10, can someone point me to a guide for setting this up so I can freely access the cams when they would be on their own network?
Thanks!

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe more for someone who has done this, but should I do any prep work on the existing cams, when it's time, before I unplug them from the nvr, and start them into the POE ?
For instance, setting up a certain IP on each cam, so I can at least find them somehow, and avoid climbing up to each on to reset it? Although, I THINK a reset just involves unplugging it..

I also read somewhere that newer lorex cams have the default login of admin/admin.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Dual NIC set up

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If it helps I've put a network diagram up to that thread - the critique is still ongoing so you may want to wait until everything is fixed and correct, but after that you may find the diagram helps immensely.

BTW, it's advisable to use different IP addresses to the ones in the diagram been as they're out on the internet now. The 1st post has a link to an explanatory page which also gives some advice on picking ip's. Provided your subnet IP's are ranged to match your chosen IP ranges, it shouldn't matter if you pick diffferent IP's to those shown.