Consistent disconnection of IPcam's - any solutions?

LeDareBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a few different IP cams, but the ethernet/poe connection seems loose, and sometimes it will be out for days before connecting back again. Is there any suggestions on how to keep these locked in tight together?

Thank you in advance!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are the RJ-45 male connections to the camera's RJ-45 female connections protected from the elements?

First, I'd take apart and inspect those connections. If either or any of the connectors appear to be green and/or corroded, clean both the males and females first with DexoIT. After cleaning, test those connections to insure you've solved the problem BEFORE you perform the procedure below. If any won't clean up and test good then you may have to replace the connector(s). Insure you obtain the color-code to the cam's female connector on its pigtail before cutting it to replace. Leave enough wire to be able to see the color of the conductor and use a multi-meter or continuity tester to determine which wire goes to which pin on the connector.

Waterproof that so-called "waterproof" connector on the pigtail or any Ethernet connection anywhere outdoors, even if the box is under a roof eave or the connection is inside the box. Here's my suggestion for future installs:
  • Use dielectric grease on both the male RJ-45 and in the female where it connects.
  • Wrap the entire junction with self-fusing rubber tape, don't be stingy, go past barrel connector and on out pigtail a couple of inches on both ends. This self-curing or self-fusing (vulcanizing) process is also employed by Coax Seal, self-sealing mastic pads....many names and labels for the same process.
  • Over-wrap all that self-fusing rubber tape TIGHTLY with 3M 33+ or 88 vinyl electrical tape to aid and speed up the curing process but it will remain on.
  • When possible, locate camera, its pigtail and junction box with connection out of direct weather. Direct rain and direct UV shorten the life of all devices, even the ones that are rated "for outdoor use."
  • Caulk where pigtail enters camera generously with outdoor-rated silicone sealant.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a few different IP cams, but the ethernet/poe connection seems loose, and sometimes it will be out for days before connecting back again. Is there any suggestions on how to keep these locked in tight together?

Thank you in advance!
Look for any twist/kinks or sharp bends in the wire.
A lot of people went to cat 6 just because the plastic core can help prevent bend radius issues.