CONSTANT BI UPDATES

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve only had BI installed for about a week now. I updated it just after install. Since then I have received numerous update requests to fix one thing or another. Should I be updating!? I read here there could be issues with constant updating. Right now I have only one camera installed that I’m working with. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you like headaches or don't care to be a beta tester (which we do need and are thankful of those doing that), once you find a stable version of BI that is working with your system, resist the urge to update until they add something that is of value to you. Especially now with all the frequent changes trying to get CodeProject to work more seamlessly.

I am still on 5.5.something because Deepstack simply works for me and I have seen lots of issues with the new CodeProject and nothing new has been added since my version that I care about. Most here do not update and do not have auto update on and only update when something new is added they want. Previously I was on an older version until substreams were introduced and then I stayed on that stable version until DeepStack was added then I went to that stable version, and I am holding tight there until something is added that I feel I need or would enhance my system.

Many people here are still on Version 4 because that works for them.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve only had BI installed for about a week now. I updated it just after install. Since then I have received numerous update requests to fix one thing or another. Should I be updating!? I read here there could be issues with constant updating. Right now I have only one camera installed that I’m working with. Thanks
I'm also fairly new to Blue Iris. Being a long time user of Windows since version 3.1, and also like to build my own PC's, it comes as second nature to me to keep software and firmware updated. But I have also read all the posts about not updating camera firmware and Blue Iris unless necessary. I personally bricked a new Hikvision camera recently by updating the firmware when doing the initial setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a specific notification during the update indicating the last stable update. Unless you want to beta test, dont update unless its stable. The BEST part of blue iris is that the developer (yes there is only one guy running the entire ship) pushes updates with new features monthly. No other VMS does this - no other software as I know it does this. The only issue with this is folks with OCD feel the need to update immediately then complain that they have problems. Unfortunately for 60 bux you cannot expect therapy to be included.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I stayed on the same boat for years waiting and rarely updating, but with the new on site lpr stuff I'm doing the "current" testing... I would call it beta testing if they labeled it correctly lol.