Continuous + Triggered: Sub stream vs. Mainstream

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am setting up a new camera and would like to have it record continuously and receive alert clips when motion is detected. I would like the continuous recording as well as the alert clips to be presented with mainstream quality during recording playback. What are my options?

I have a mainstream and a sub stream set up on my Dahua turret. With Continuous + Triggered setup it seems to only present me with the sub stream on video playback for whatever reason, but when I change to Continuous it presents me with the mainstream quality recording on playback.

I would like it to present me with the mainstream during recording playback when the settings are set to Continuous + Triggered. Am I doing something wrong? Should it present me with main stream quality? How can I fix this / (maybe: fix my user error lol)?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
User error LOL.

Keep in mind the "alert clips" are nothing more than pointers to the video file - it is not another file.

If you want to see mainstream during playback whether there is a trigger or alert or not, then you need to record as continuous.

Cont+trigger will record substream until triggered then switch to mainstream during the event and then switch back to substream.

Cont+Alert will record substream until alter then switch to mainstream during the event and then switch back to substream.

Keep in mind running 24/7 continuous take a lot more memory than running cont+trig or alert.

You could up the bitrate of the substream D1 resolution quite a bit and not miss too much and get more recording time.

Reaction score
"User error LOL" -- that's what I figured!

Thanks for the quick response.

Upping the bitrate of the sub stream could be a viable option for me. I'm not overly concerned about recording time (at the moment anyways), and I would like a full resolution (mainstream recording) available all the time. Is there a way to have Cont+trigger record mainstream while still getting alerts?

I would like to utilize the benefit of having a sub stream for multi camera viewing, but that is the extent of what I would prefer to use sub stream for--is my best option for having mainstream continuous recording and alerts on motion to stop using a sub stream entirely? (that would be unfortunate). Any thoughts here?

Thanks again for the help!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have substreams enabled, it will use the substreams for multi camera viewing and the other purposes it uses substream for.

The recording is totally separate of the alerts or triggers.

You simply set your alerts or triggers based on what parameters you want to have them trigger or alert for.

Reaction score
Oh I see now! Perfect! I left it on Continuous and set up alerts through the alerts tab--I think I'm all set now! Mainstream recording and viewable--thank you!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want only mainstream recordings simply shut the sub stream down in the video configuration of your cameras.

Reaction score
Yes, that is a good option too! For me, I still want the benefit of sub stream for multi camera viewing, but don't want it for recording purposes which I would lose if I shutdown sub stream completely in the camera settings.

I think setting to Continuous recording and setting up alerts separately does the trick for me.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just rereading this today and I'm confused as to what the best option is for a camera with substreams enabled.
To get the best video when something is detected, should I be using continuous + alerts (or continuous + trigger) instead of continuous?

thx.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Six of my 7 cameras (6 are 4 or 5 mp,, one is 2 mp) are set to record continuous. They are also set to 15 fps, and that gives me about 6 days‘ of storage on my 2TB drive.I ‘ve never needed to go back further in time. I’m also recording the sub streams from these cameras, for use in multi view and motion detection simulation. I like having the full resolution of mainstream in case my motion detection misses something. This has worked well for me on my old, 2nd gen i7 machine.