Control4

james_aus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking at options for camera integration with control4. My preference is to use Blue Iris as I familiar with it. I see that there is drivers built for both Dahua and HIK Vision integration into Control4. I have had HIK NVR before and was not impressed. Has anyone had success with Blue Iris?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
What type of integration are you trying to achieve?

I use a different automation system (CQC) so I am unaware of what the Control4 drivers are capable of. However, BI camera feeds are available via IP address and the BI triggering system can issue MQTT commands. Between the two, it covers any situation I have needed. I can pull up the camera feeds in my automation GUI and I can have the larger automation system "trigger" off the MQTT commands issues by BI. For example, I have set up my automation system to turn on my porch lights whenever there is motion detected by any of the front yard cameras. I achieve this by having BI send a MQTT command whenever their is motion on those cameras. I then use the automation system to add in some additional logic so it only turns the lights on at night, etc. It will also turn the lights off after 5 minutes of no motion if the alarm system is armed "night" mode.

I also believe that I can trigger things in BI using MQTT or other means, but personally I haven't needed that functionality. About the only thing I could see being useful is if I wanted to trigger a different schedule/profile based on something like my home alarm status. So if I wanted my cameras to react differently when my home was not armed (ie we are at home) vs when it is armed night/away/vacation, I could do that.

Last edited: