Controlling when Hikvision DS-2DE4A425IW PTZ Camera runs its Pan / Tilt / Zoom Test

Bill MD

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is mounted near our bedroom window and disturbs us at night when it runs its pan tilt zoom test due to the sound the motor makes when moving rapidly. Is there a way to instruct the camera to run the test during the day? The camera is quiet during normal operation because it is set to pan slowly between stops.

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see a reference to the Test feature in the documentation. Might be a patrol, pattern or preset that is scheduled. Are you able to access the webGUI of the camera?

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this cam as well and aren't aware of any test. When it powers on and boots it performs a self test. Could it possibly be losing power at night for some reason?

Bill MD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I went into the maintenance logs and appear to be getting a Local: Abnormal Shutdown. So the camera movement IS being caused by going through a new system start up after whatever is causing the Abnormal Shutdown.

This is not occuring during daylight hours and the other cameras running through the same switch are not experiencing this characteristic. Any ideas?
1583701249766.png

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try the following:
Disconnect the Ethernet connector at the pigtail. Check for moisture/debris and make sure you hear a click when reconnecting it.
If you are using a PoE injector, disconnect the Ethernet cable and make sure it's seated correctly when you reconnect it.
Check if the problem is resolved.
If not, check the cable with a Ethernet cable tester or try with a different Ethernet cable.
If you are using a third party PoE injector, make sure it supports the power requirements.
The DS-2DE4A425IW requires: 12 VDC, 3.33 A & PoE (802.3 at), 42.5 to 57 VDC, 0.6 A, class4 Max.:18 W, including max. 5W for IR. Recommended PoE injector for your model: LAS60-57CN-RJ45.
Keep us posted.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure the POE switch you are using is made for security cameras. Normal "computer" POE's will not be able to supply enough power to each channel. If you are using the built in POE on the recorder then make sure you have not used more power than the unit can provide. On Hikvision NVR's it would be listed under camera and then select POE information. This PTZ camera will only do a power on self test where it runs through the full motion of the PTZ and zoom when it is first boots up. Sounds like it is losing power or the power going to the camera is intermittent.

Bill MD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the good suggestions. At the prompting of StewartM I removed the camera from the house, retested the cable (tested good), and set the camera up inside the house using the short cable provided by HIkvision to hook directly to the adjacent switch. This would eliminate any potential issues associated with the ethernet cable, dampness, poor connection, etc. I still getting local abnormal shutdowns followed by a power on at least once per day. There are three other cameras connected to the POE switch, none of which experience this behavior. One of the three is the exact same model PTZ. Based upon the March 12th comments from Iewic, I am thinking that I could try to remove those three cameras and only run one camera out of the POE switch. At this point I think we can say the issue must be either the camera or the switch. We have removed everything else from equation.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the PTZ will be using higher power so it is best to have at least a 40 watt power supply. Regular cameras are using less at around 10 watts or so. So since it is only doing it at night.... all the cameras are using IR which will require more power compared to daytime. I would get a separate POE injector for the PTZ and see if that fixes the problem. If the power is deemed good then only thing else could try is default the camera. Only after that I would say it is a camera hardware problem.

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The DS-2DE4A425IW requires: 12 VDC, 3.33 A & PoE (802.3 at), 42.5 to 57 VDC, 0.6 A, class4 Max.:18 W, including max. 5W for IR. Recommended PoE injector for your model: LAS60-57CN-RJ45.
Keep us posted.

Just in case you are curious - I have a PoE .af switch and run two of these series of cameras (204 and 220). I was aware of the requirements for .at when I purchased, but always planned to run them in day mode with no IR.

Just make sure you don't have so many cameras that you are exceeding the total power output of the switch (in this case 53W)

My PoE Switch;

Bill MD

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe I have erred by connecting the cameras directly from a Netgear Prosafe GS108PE with a POE budget of 53 watts and not using the POE injectors that came with the cameras (LAS30-57CN-RJ45 2 amp max (DC 56V---30Watts.) I thought my powered switch would have sufficient power. I should have checked

Is this as simple as going in series from the Netgear switch to the injector and then from the injector to the camera?

One female ethernet connector on the injector is labeled POE/Data and the other female ethernet connector is labeled Data/In. Which side goes to the camera and which side goes to the Netgear switch?

Thank you..

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. So is like this:
Netgear to Injectors to Cameras
Data/In is for Netgear to Injector
POE/Data is for Injector to Camera

Bill MD

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who helped me get up and running. The issue was my assumption that the powered switch would provide sufficient power. It did not. When I inserted the POE injector then everything worked fine. Thank you.