Converting Hikvision MP4

Tillis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. Just installed a Hik 2732 and it's been great. I installed this quickly primarily because I have rental neighbors that are quickly becoming a nuisance. Within almost a week I already have some great video of them, and one in particular I want to make them famous with. That brings me to the conversion. I am using vms4200, and basically could only figure out quickly how to manual record. Replay is fine in MP4, but I am already concerned because trying to convert within VSplayer or Hik's Format converter the few settings I've tried it looks HORRIBLE. I would like to keep the exact detail I have in the recording, as well as have it replay in 16:9 (which I have to keep changing the settings to on playback). I tried searching the forum for specifics on what is best for preserving detail and do not see much that helps.

Does anyone have a go to for converting to any common format that doesn't lose a lick of detail? I desperately want to get this done, as the copy I've burned for the police with VSplayer included just in case makes me nervous it's just going to go in a folder because the officer looking into it is annoyed he can't just click on the video files and play, plus I would like to upload this to youtube so the fools can enjoy their new-found notoriety. Thanks

Brs7311

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is version of VSPlayer that I am using:
Dropbox - Link not found

There is some bug in software, and if you set everything on default, you will get crap video. So here is a screen shot with setting I use to convert my videos. This way you will get best datail.
View attachment 5515
Thank you , Exactly the settings I needed to get the files to work in Windows Movie Maker and also convert quickly. Wish I had found this post hours ago!

Lucas Tam

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the fix ... there is a bug in the LocalConfig.ini file, it seems VSPlayer is not updating it correctly.

1. To fix, go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\VSPlayer\FormatConverter
2. Edit LocalConfig.ini
3. Change Default Path to C:\\Temp (or whatever directory you want). Make sure you escape the \.

Launch Format Converter, the Default Path should not be filled in... and you can convert.

Last edited:

YellowSnow

n3wb
Reaction score
In my case, there is no ini file to edit. My solution was to de-install VSPlayer en reinstall it on f.e. the D drive. Then i didnt find any problems anymore.

akivadis

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem in there is no LocalConfig.ini file to edit. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times now with no luck. Any other ideas? The videos from the camera are great, but if I can't use them with a mainstream media player, it becomes worthless.

YellowSnow

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same problem in there is no LocalConfig.ini file to edit. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times now with no luck. Any other ideas? The videos from the camera are great, but if I can't use them with a mainstream media player, it becomes worthless.
Did you re-install it to another drive than default (c)? For me the sollution was to install it on D drive

Lucas Tam

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is a copy of what is in my LocalConfig.ini, put it into C:\Program Files (x86)\VSPlayer\FormatConverter

[SysCfg]
Language=1
OutputDir=C:\\Temp
Granularity=100

zanaqvi

n3wb
Reaction score
Islamabad, Islamabad Capital Territory, Pakistan
For the "invalid saving path" error - run the Format Converter "as administrator". (On Windows 10, right click on the Format Converter Icon -> More - > Run as Administrator) Its indeed a bug in the application and it does not get permissions to create the ini file if executed in a normal way.

Jeremy Spiering

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use FFMPEG (free) to fix the MP4's without doing any conversion and loss of quality. Fixing the MP4's using FFMPEG only takes a split second, and leaves you with an MP4 that can be viewed in any MP4 player, with the proper time displayed and ability to seek. Download FFPMEG and run the following command from the command line or terminal:

ffmpeg -err_detect ignore_err -i video.mp4 -c copy video_fixed.mp4

(replace video.mp4 and video_fixed.mp4 with your input and desired output filenames)

The resulting file should now be playable in any program that can play mp4's encoded in H.264 (or H.265 depending on your camera and/or NVR)

Reaction score
Run the Format Converter "as administrator", after that choose icon on the left of "CPU usage" and choose SystemConfiguration, after that change "Default Saving Path", and all it works.