Cool Hack using Powerline Adaptors

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a location about 300 feet from my house where there is an old 3 pair balanced audio cable. Should probably just try and use it as a pull rope for cat 5 but this idea is cool. Might try it on an audio pair.

TL;DR
These guys operate ROVs under water, I guess. They were looking for a way to get ethernet down the tether cable. This really clever guy hacks a pair of powerline adaptors removing the 120VAC on the line. Just the RF part remains and it looks like it works really well. Guys were reporting 500 feet on 22awg wire. It's very detailed and a REALLY LONG read but the geeks will dig it. I think?

Teardown of a HomePlug Adapter

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Too cool, would be nice to see it configured to run 12V (2 wire) system for Camera installation.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can get little boxes that act as DSL access point and client, and maybe get it to work with just some cable splicing, assuming you have power at both ends. Kind of an expensive experiment though if it doesn't work. I'd sooner do a wireless point to point bridge if there is clear line of sight.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can get little boxes that act as DSL access point and client, and maybe get it to work with just some cable splicing, assuming you have power at both ends. Kind of an expensive experiment though if it doesn't work. I'd sooner do a wireless point to point bridge if there is clear line of sight.
Well this cost was a bit over 40 bucks and powerline should have much faster data speeds than dsl. It is obviously not for the weak of heart and requires some proficiency with a soldering iron. But in some circumstances it might be the easiest option.

I do like @framednlv 's comment about 12vdc down the pair to power the camera. Should be possible depending on IR losses. Same regulator for the 3.3vdc should work with the 12vdc, I think. Have to look that one up.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do like @framednlv 's comment about 12vdc down the pair to power the camera. Should be possible depending on IR losses. Same regulator for the 3.3vdc should work with the 12vdc, I think. Have to look that one up.
At 12V, you have to worry more about power and heat sinking.
It was a linear reg, so it has to dissipate the power, 12v-3.3v = 8.7V times 1/3 of an amp. So you need to dissipate about 3 watts.
At 5v, its only 1.7v times 1/3 of an amp.