Correct equipment connection order?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a few Dahua cameras, (from Andy) and running a dedicated BI computer.
I'm considering setting up a VPN soon after reading the VPN tutorial thread and I think I want to do it by upgrading my Asus wifi router firmware with OpenVPN (the router right now is only being used secondarily as a wifi extender via a long CAT6 cable to another part of the house).

I believe I would need to have a different equipment configuration order though for it to work properly and protect everything but not sure how it all works together so I thought I'd ask for recommendations of what equipment should go in what order.
I also believe I could run a VPN on my computer vs on the router but not sure that would be a good idea along side of BI on the same computer; I want what is best \ easiest to maintain to protect myself.

Here is my layout order now.

DSL internet to house -> Centurylink (DSL provider) Zyxel C1100Z wifi modem\router ->Cisco SRW248G4P 48 Port POE switch
Everything else is connected directly to the POE switch via CAT5\6 cables.
BI computer, Asus N65U wifi router, cameras, TP-Link powerline adapter, IP phone, android TV box, 2nd computer in office.

Would the very 1st piece of equipment need to be the Asus router if I am running a VPN from it or not?

What equipment order would be necessary?