Correct sequence for firmware update?

Reaction score
Hello guys,
what is the correct sequence when updating an IPC-HFW5541E-ZE?
In the ZIP file are 3 different .bin files.
1. DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.840.0000000.18.R.220629.bin :88,9MB
2. firmware.bin :40.5MB
3. General_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MCU_V2.840.0000000.18.R.220629.bin :9,3kb

Do all 3 files need to be loaded on the CAM and if so, in what order?

Thanks in advance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What problems are you having why you want to update?

Reaction score
What problems are you having why you want to update?
No problem, only the current version is "a bit old"...
I just got the cam today (used) and wanted to bring it up to date.
  • Version
    Device Type IPC-HFW5541E-ZE
    System Version V2.800.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2020-05-29
    WEB Version V3.2.1.900200ONVIF Version 19.06(V2.6.1.845551)
    Algorithm Version 1.0.1
    Security Baseline Version V2.1

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't risk it...

Most here do not update. Many of us run firmware older than that.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here is one of many threads of someone updating for OCD behavior simply to get all cams on same firmware and bricked them. Here is one of many threads where someone had their camera go into Chinese when they tried to update it.

Unless the release notes specifically mention it fixing a problem you are experiencing, more than likely it won't fix an issue and may make the device worse by removing functionality or worse brick it.

Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Another thing to consider is that the same model could have different firmware for different chipsets used during the life of that model. So you run the risk of bricking if you do not know what chipset you have.

Here is an example - the HFW3549T1-AS-PV is available in 2 versions of firmware across 3 different chipsets for the same model camera:
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S4 uses the HX3XXX-Taurus firmware.
  • HFW3549T1-AS-PV and IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV-S3 use the HX5XXX-Volt firmware
In this instance, Dahua added an S# designation after the model number (while Hikvision adds a C), but many do not and then you try to update with a firmware not compatible with your chipset and potentially brick it.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1666892544039.png

Reaction score
@wittaj :
These are of course good arguments

According to the release note, new features have been added, some of which I find quite good, especially:
"Algorithm Optimization for Big-animal False Alarm Based on SMD Function".

It's a pity that I can't do the update risk-free...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it is a risk, but if you want to try LOL.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@wittaj :
These are of course good arguments

According to the release note, new features have been added, some of which I find quite good, especially:
"Algorithm Optimization for Big-animal False Alarm Based on SMD Function".

It's a pity that I can't do the update risk-free...
Agree! There are tons of devices that excel from firmware updates for fixes and upgrades, sad this is a shortcoming for Dahua.
From personal experience, all my cams are Dahua running current firmware - knock on wood no problems.
Do your research, read update notes and determine if the upgrade is necessary. Good advice in this thread, and countless others.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please, someone tell the creator of the post which is the sequence to update, or which is the firmware he has to use to update that camera.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Advice from @looney2ns
It's usually always best before updating a firmware, that you follow this:
1-Set camera back to FULL factory defaults.
2-Update firmware.
3-Set camera once again back to FULL factory defaults.
4- Configure camera back up from scratch, don't import any exported settings.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
All of these replies without an answer to the OP question led me to look into it myself. Aside from the different subject of whether to upgrade or not, we really need to know the answer to this question. Older upgrade zip files contained only one large .bin file. At least some of the newer zip files contain the 3 files listed in the OP. The multiple file content of some of the .bin files can be listed with 7zip. Using the zip file for .13R version (the only zip file I have on hand), the firmware.bin file contains only one data file named firmware-x.squashfs.img, which is also contained in the big .bin file, and it's the exact same size. I can't decode anything from the ...MCU... file. Since all of my camera upgrades have involved only the big .bin file, I'd guess() that only that one needs to be loaded, and the presence of the other two files is a mistake that causes a distraction. It would be nice if somebody who knows the answer for sure could chime in. ( Definition of "guess" in this context = It could be the wrong answer leading to a bad result at the risk of anybody who follows it).

My own copy of the DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.840.0000000.18.R.220629.bin file is a different size that what's posted in the OP. Windows properties says 84.4 MB (88,591,182 bytes), and the explorer window says 86,515 KB. Seems like windows can't even agree with itself.