Costco Lorex System?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So with my new house looming around the corner, I'm back to try and finalize a purchase of cameras and an NVR. Unfortunately the CDN dollar has taken a huge 25% or so hit in the last several months since I originally posted this:

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/665-Advice-Assistance-on-placement-of-cameras-for-floor-plan

Where I was contemplating going with a Hikvision system. With that in mind, I'm curious as to whether the Lorex systems are any good and if anyone knows what they are white labelling in terms of their NVR and cameras?

E.g., the system I was looking at was this one:

http://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-channel-HD-1080p-Security-System-with-2-TB-HDD-and-8-HD-1080p-Camera-Kits.product.100212583.html

Or

http://www.costco.ca/Lorex®-8-channel-High-Definition-Digital-NVR-with-2TB-HDD-%26-6-HD-1080p-Weatherproof-Cameras.product.100117136.html

Have to double check that the NVR is in fact POE for all channels.

The NVR looks a lot like the Hikvision DS-7608N-E2/P8, however the black front of the camera doesn't look like the Hikvision all white bullets.

Obviously I'm giving up the flexibility of selecting exactly which cameras and lenses I need and getting a much better warranty in return (and likely easier to deal with on the issues front given its coming from costco), but was wondering what people thought of these Costco "all in a box" type of systems?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@pbc, there is nothing wrong with the costco systems..the first is a rebranded dahua...the second is a rebranded hikvision..

Last edited by a moderator:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, Any opinion between the two vs what I had in the initial thread (hik nvr with hik cams)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I always like choosing my own cameras..I prefer the 2332 turret as a general camera and a 2.8mm or 4mm 2532IS with mic and sd card for front doors. Note that the domes in those kits are most likely 2 axis and cannot be wall mounted without a large mount.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.. May stick to the original plan in my other post. Should still work out to be the same or less even after shipping and conversion. Just a bit nervous about ordering from China and possible support issues as I have no experience installing cams and setting up an nvr, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.. May stick to the original plan in my other post. Should still work out to be the same or less even after shipping and conversion. Just a bit nervous about ordering from China and possible support issues as I have no experience installing cams and setting up an nvr, etc.
You can always get support on the forum..however, if you are concerned just get the costco unit...or spend more and buy from a supplier like nellys or lts that will give you support.