Could BlueIris 6.0 be around the corner?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
With the holiday season approaching fast and version 5.8.0.0 just released, I'm wondering if BI 6.0 will be showing up ? I know this is pure bullshit speculation, but the way Ken releases updates, it's bound to happen. :idk:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Usually a major version follows a period of no minor updates for 30+ days as Ken works on exclusive new major features. That hasn't happened.

I think the introduction of the annual support plan took away most financial motivation to release a new major version. At this point I assume it would not happen unless Ken just gets tired of seeing the number 5.

MrWho

n3wb
Reaction score
Usually a major version follows a period of no minor updates for 30+ days as Ken works on exclusive new major features. That hasn't happened.

I think the introduction of the annual support plan took away most financial motivation to release a new major version. At this point I assume it would not happen unless Ken just gets tired of seeing the number 5.
That's a pity. I tried the software and it's quite good - now I'm holding onto my old setup waiting for the version 6 to come out to go ahead and purchase it.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a pity. I tried the software and it's quite good - now I'm holding onto my old setup waiting for the version 6 to come out to go ahead and purchase it.
What do you want in v6 that is missing in v5?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I completely agree. If I remember correctly v5 was a pretty major rewrite of the underlying program code compared to v4. So unless v5 suddenly hits a wall that Ken can't push through without another major code revision, I don't see v6 on the horizon anytime soon.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
No idea - I haven't seen it yet.
I wouldn't hold out much hope for a new version anytime soon. V5 is a major update to V4 if that is what you are currently running. It does tons of more things.

MrWho

n3wb
Reaction score
A question: Let's assume I buy v5 now and (I assume) I have access to all the updates during one year.

That year goes by without v6 coming out - what options do I have to upgrade from v5 to v6 when it does come out? Does the one-time 1yr extension (without renewals) grant me that upgrade?

MrWho

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold out much hope for a new version anytime soon. V5 is a major update to V4 if that is what you are currently running. It does tons of more things.
I trying out BI for the first time - I'm almost at the end of the 15-day trial.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A question: Let's assume I buy v5 now and (I assume) I have access to all the updates during one year.

That year goes by without v6 coming out - what options do I have to upgrade from v5 to v6 when it does come out? Does the one-time 1yr extension (without renewals) grant me that upgrade?
Yes, the cheapest option at that point would be to subscribe to the cheapest support plan extension, which is typically the 1 year renewing plan which you can simply cancel just after the payment goes through so you don't get charged again.

Many of us running Blue Iris 5.x are using our old Blue Iris 4 license keys which have been 'upgraded' by applying support plan license codes. There's no reason to believe it won't continue to work the same way when version 6 comes out.

1715697275501.png

MrWho

n3wb
Reaction score
It's been well worth the purchase and the annual renews for me so far.
I don't doubt that for a second - the time I've spent with the trial version tells me it's a fine piece of software.

But please understand: From a quick Google search, the average monthly salary in the US is around $4000, but in Portugal is around $1400 - and I don't even make it to the four digits (I earn less than $1000 monthly). But the software buying price is the same for you and me both. So you'll understand why I try to get as much bang for the buck when I buy something.

Yes, the cheapest option at that point would be to subscribe to the cheapest support plan extension, which is typically the 1 year renewing plan which you can simply cancel just after the payment goes through so you don't get charged again.

Many of us running Blue Iris 5.x are using our old Blue Iris 4 license keys which have been 'upgraded' by applying support plan license codes. There's no reason to believe it won't continue to work the same way when version 6 comes out.

View attachment 194557
Thank you! I still have some questions related to the Android app, but I'll post them on another thread when I have the software paid for and up and running.

Have a nice week all!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't doubt that for a second - the time I've spent with the trial version tells me it's a fine piece of software.

But please understand: From a quick Google search, the average monthly salary in the US is around $4000, but in Portugal is around $1400 - and I don't even make it to the four digits (I earn less than $1000 monthly). But the software buying price is the same for you and me both. So you'll understand why I try to get as much bang for the buck when I buy something.

Thank you! I still have some questions related to the Android app, but I'll post them on another thread when I have the software paid for and up and running.

Have a nice week all!
Save your money and don't by the app. The free UI3 is awesome! The app is only needed if you have two-way talk cameras or want push notifications, but there are cheaper ways for push.

MrWho

n3wb
Reaction score
Save your money and don't by the app. The free UI3 is awesome! The app is only needed if you have two-way talk cameras or want push notifications, but there are cheaper ways for push.
Well, I have a cheap (around $1.5) Android app for RTSP streams that I use with my current setup and it works perfectly with BI. Two-stream audio was exactly the reason I was going for the oficial app - It would save me the expense of installing a video doorbell - and, from what I could gather, it's the only way of having two-way communication on my phone.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do keep in mind two-way talk with the app is more like a walkie-talkie and with a lag. Good for yelling "get off my lawn" but not real good for any conversation.

What about using the native app of the camera you have for the two-way?

MrWho

n3wb
Reaction score
Do keep in mind two-way talk with the app is more like a walkie-talkie and with a lag. Good for yelling "get off my lawn" but not real good for any conversation.
Bummer... How laggy? 0,5sec tops? Or more than that?

What about using the native app of the camera you have for the two-way?
Nooo, I don't think so. These are those sort of chinese cameras that almost force you to use their apps and ask for every permission on and then some on your phone. I set them up on a separate network from my main lan and from the internet so they're isolated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bummer... How laggy? 0,5sec tops? Or more than that?

Nooo, I don't think so. These are those sort of chinese cameras that almost force you to use their apps and ask for every permission on and then some on your phone. I set them up on a separate network from my main lan and from the internet so they're isolated.
The lag will depend on your network topology and whether you are on your home network or away. Could be less than 0.5seconds or a couple of seconds. Also, it isn't really two-way talk in that you both can't talk at the same time - you have to push/hold down the mic and then push/unhold when done talking. It really is hard to have more than one back and forth talk. Maybe that is sufficient for what you need, but wanted to warn you that they are not as smooth as doorbell cams.

MrWho

n3wb
Reaction score
The lag will depend on your network topology and whether you are on your home network or away. Could be less than 0.5seconds or a couple of seconds. Also, it isn't really two-way talk in that you both can't talk at the same time - you have to push/hold down the mic and then push/unhold when done talking. It really is hard to have more than one back and forth talk. Maybe that is sufficient for what you need, but wanted to warn you that they are not as smooth as doorbell cams.
Thank you. That leads me to another question - which probably is starting to get off-topic, if that's so I'd ask a mod to either let me know or split this thread to another one - which is: Is there any self-hosted solution for a doorbell cam? Can BI be used for that? Or is there any other more adequate program? I'd like to be able to answer the door even if away from home.

Cheers!