Could you please review my setup and give me hints/tips what to do better?

rotation

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a simple favour to ask:
Could you please review my setup and give me hints/tips what to do better or to look at?

Short background:
At first I got Netgear Arlo 1 Pro.
(I did not buy it, my dad did)
It was installed but was not really satisfying. The settings were not good enough, there were a lot of false alarms.
We were unable to find a better suited position, unfortunately.

It had the advantage of viewing the taken videos remotely via smartphone - which was basically the only plus.
Then I got me a Hikvision camera and a Synology NVR and installed it.

My current setup:

Hikvision 2CD2142FWD + microSD - LAN installation cable self crimped (not patch cable) - Netgear POE Switch - Synology NVR1218

The Netgear switch is connected to a Powerline Adapter, another Powerline adapter is at my D-Link Router with DD-WRT, which is connected to the DSL modem.
NVR and camera get their IP from DHCP on the DD-WRT router, but as a static IP based on their MAC.
A VPN is configured, so I can VPN into my home from a smartphone with mobile data.

Synology Surveillance Station is used to store the videos from the camera.
The motion detection and line crossing detection is done and configured in the camera, Surveillance Station is not doing anything else than storing.

The camera itself stores the videos from the substream, it stores the same video content than Surveillance Station, but the lower quality.

Surveillance Station is recording stream 1:
2688*1520, variable bitrate, 6+ video quality, 6 fps, 4096 Kbps, H.264, H.264+ OFF, Main Profile, I-Frame-Interval 6, SVC OFF, Smoothing 50

The camera itself stores the videos from substream:
640*360, variable bitrate, 6+ video quality, 6fps, 256 Kbos, H.264, Main Profile, I-Frame-Interval 6 SVC 6, Smoothing 50

Motion Detection:
is activated 24/7, as normal configuration (not expert), with sensitivity 20.
It triggers surveillance center (or whatever the english translation is) and stores on FTP/Storage, video storage is triggered.

Line Detection:
Is activated, the line drawn is quite small, because I only need a small area.
The maximum rectangle is big, the minimum not existant.
Sensitivity is 94.

With this setup the good quality videos are stored on the NAS, the low quality videos on the camera.
I can VPN into my home and with Hik-Connect (is off in the camera) I can then enter my camera IP adress to view the low quality videos.
With this I can watch them because of the low upload speed of my DSL, I cannot watch the full quality videos without long waiting time. I will probably reduce the substream quality even further.
Because of this I do not want to do the motion detection in Surveillance Station.

Currently I observe how this setup is doing and will get another camera eventually.
Arlo will be used additionally.

Could you please review my setup and give me hints?
Did I miss any infos?