Couple of quick questions about setting up Hik NVR-DS-7616N-E2-8P-16CH

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I set and applied an NVR password time-out to longer, and even tried never, but I still get prompted for password more than I'd like. Is this common?

To access via iVMS 4500 remotely, I assume port forwarding is the key. I also see that the internal IP's of the POE jacks seem to have one IP range and the external LAN another. I see a setting in Network for NAT, does this need to be setup?

Tried setting up email notifications, also not working, will port forwarding "fix" that, or is it something else? I am sure the configuration of the outbound email server is correct!

Also, cannot see camera settings to turn off IR lights which I'd like to do. It seems the NYR camera settings are a subset of what I remember seeing when the camera was hooked up alone and not via the NVR. Any way to access these additional camera settings?

The manual is pretty basic, I've read through it.

Thanks!

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One more thing... I have one hard drive in for now, is there setup for making a RAID, either mirror or stripping, in the Hik NVR? I didn't see anything in drive configuration that leads me to believe there is?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is possible to create a RAID0 (like mirror in PCs). First create a group of hard disks. Then assign both hard disks to the same group. Then set one of the hard disks as normal and the other one as redundant. All this configuration can only be done through the native VGA/HDMI interface of the NVR. It can not be done through the web interface.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only way to access all the camera menus is through the native web interface of the camera itself. If you do not have the Virtual Host feature in the NVR and you have the camera connected at the NVR PoE switch, then it is not possible to access the camera web interface. In this case the easiest way is to connect the camera to a PC on its own for configuration purposes only OR to connect the PoE switch to your LAN with a short patch cord. In the latter case you loose one PoE port at the NVR and in order to access the cameras the PC must be at the same network subnet with the PoE switch IPs. There are many threads under the HIKVision section of this forum documenting how to access the PoE connected cameras from the LAN.

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is possible to create a RAID0 (like mirror in PCs). First create a group of hard disks. Then assign both hard disks to the same group. Then set one of the hard disks as normal and the other one as redundant. All this configuration can only be done through the native VGA/HDMI interface of the NVR. It can not be done through the web interface.
I don't see any settings for making one drive "redundant" and I am using the NVR interface HDMI.
Update: I found where this setting is... life is good on this one issue!

Last edited by a moderator:

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some progress, I've got email notices being sent out using a gmail account, but it refuses to send any snapshot pictures. I'm at a lost to know why?
Port forward setup so remote access is working fine.
NVR password time-out refuses to comply with different time settings or never. A minor annoyance.
It's the latest version of firmware, so I'm looking to see where the virtual host feature is. Still trying to get camera settings access as the NVR settings are way to limited to adjust camera settings.
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback to date!!!

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're not running 3.3.2 by any chance are you?

I believe it's a known issue for the email notification not to have any captures.

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow - Thank you! I'll stop trying to figure out why this issue, not sending captures with notifications, wasn't working. I assume/hope it will be fixed in a future update? Any other list of non-working features in version 3.3.2?
Thanks VERY much!

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But does 3.3.4 introduce any other issues? Half works doesn't sound promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately from my hamble experience the HIK firmware development is not up to to the highest standards.

The emailing of snapshots works erratically and upon several conditions being met which are not documented. Once I had it working. Suddenly and without any changes made in the configuration, the emailing snapshots feature stopped working. After a couple weeks and without any changes done, it started working on eah own. Go figure ....

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I just stopped using it because of the same issues as you @aster1x

Now I've got some 6TB HDD I just run 24/7 but leave the motion on so I can event search. Now and then it still misses stuff but always seems to catch the neighbours' cats.

Last edited by a moderator:

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the 7604NI-SE/P (with 4 poe porta) with firmware 3.0.9.

In the past year I had two occassions where the continuous recording was working intermittedly and I had to reboot the NVR. Then I had three occassion where the RJ45 plug of the camera cable got disconnected at the NVR socket and lost completely the camera connection. Thankully the video loss feature emailed me the event and I reconnected promptly the plug. I had changed the plug in all three cases and it still happened. So I conclude that the NVR PoE socket does not make perfect and reliable connections. I use my surveilance system in a completely unattended way. I have no monitor or operator. I rely entirely on the reliable operation of the system. In the past year I had 8 events that the system was not functioning properly. In five of these cases I had not received any alert notification because the NVR does not detect them. One case was that the clock of the NVR was way out of synch despite having NTP configured and the other case was the disruption of continuous recording. Both of these malfunctions are not detected and are not alerted.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I set and applied an NVR password time-out to longer, and even tried never, but I still get prompted for password more than I'd like. Is this common?
I had this bug on 3.0.8. Extremely annoying.

Almost every firmware has its pros/cons so all you can really do is find one that sacrifices the things that are least important to you.