Couple questions regarding NTP settings, and some other basic settings

Echo22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone i have a couple questions i am hoping to get guidance on. For background i am running a simple setup, just modem to router to BI server PC, then 2nd NIC from BI PC to switch and then cams. So i am wondering what the recommended method is to handle NTP settings. I do not want it as an overlay in BI, so i am assuming i need to input the NTP server info in the Dahua config tool? i have seen NetTime as one suggestion, i also have it as an option on my ASUS router, and i seen Nayr suggest enabling the built in NTP server that lays dormant in Windows. Just curious what would work best, and how i would pass the information to the cams, would the NTP keep my system time in check and id just sync the cams to the PC? In regards to network security and being able to access BI server remotely through VPN, are there any suggested changes to the BI Web server settings? Any changes to each cameras video or webcast settings in BI? I setup a VPN tunnel on my router and have it setup on my phone, however its not currently working but its possible i exported the openvpn file and then made more adjustments so i just plan to redo that here in a bit. Also i've seen it said that with a VPN setup you do not need to forward any ports whatsoever, and that you need to port forward one port to your VPN, can any help clarify this? I have never messed with any sort of port forwarding, doesn't look too complicated in ASUS software but i want to be sure i am not going to leave a unnecessary port open.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On my two NIC setup in BI, I use Nettime running on the BI server
My setup
Nic1 home network BI IP 192.168.1.235
Nic2 camera network BI IP 192.168.2.235

The NIC2 does not see the router. It is not suppose to see the router. I made no changes on my asus router, I did not open any ports for the NTP port 123 to work with BI.

camera time:
time2.jpg

Time3.jpg

Last edited:

Echo22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On my two NIC setup in BI, I use Nettime running on the BI server
My setup
Nic1 home network BI IP 192.168.1.235
Nic2 camera network BI IP 192.168.2.235

The NIC2 does not see the router. It is not suppose to see the router. I made no changes on my asus router, I did not open any ports for the NTP port 123 to work with BI.

camera time:
View attachment 64819

View attachment 64820
Thank you, that is nice and straight forward. Okay so time sync should now be a non-issue in connecting for me. I have my OpenVPN server setup on my router and phone, but i am only able to access my camera feeds on my BI pc. On my iphone i cannot access the cam feed when on cellular network which is good, i cannot access them when on my wifi network which i should not be able to correct? When i turn on my OpenVPN tunnel to my router however i still cannot access the feeds, i am assuming i just use the the static IP assigned to the camera correct? Any ideas why the VPN tunnel is not allowing access to the cam feed thats on the isolated local NIC?

Echo22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do have a DDNS setup and it looks to be added into the OpenVPN setup file. I have not done anything with certificates, is that something i should do? here is an image of my VPN settings if it helps.
new.PNG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you have the cameras on the second NIC. ONLY BI can access the cameras if configured correctly. The cameras can not see the local home network, they can not see the internet.

To look at the live view access BI.

Echo22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you have the cameras on the second NIC. ONLY BI can access the cameras if configured correctly. The cameras can not see the local home network, they can not see the internet.

To look at the live view access BI.
Yeah I followed the duel NIC setup guide exactly. My cams are not detected at all that I can see on the router side. I cannot access the cams from my iPhone using the cams ip. I believe that’s all as it should be. However when on the WiFi network with my phone I should be able to access the BI local web stream and connect with the BI app by using the local ip for both the lan and wan field regardless of vpn correct? I for the life of me cannot figure out why I can’t. Even with vpn on with WiFi on and vpn on WiFi off. Tried turning off firewalls and no luck either. I haven’t made any changes to any DNS, NAT, or firewall settings, is there adjustments needed here, or am I missing a step somewhere?

Echo22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should clarify, I’ve made no changes to the firewall on the router. I have allowed everything for BI through the windows firewall, and even tried shutting down all firewalls. My second NIC (KillerLan) has always been buggy, it took a while to get the driver to function. There are some complaints that some functions don’t work due to the software suite that’s necessary for the driver. So I ordered a new widely used intel NIC in hopes that may be the issue or at least part of it. I did notice in one area of the settings even though it has a static IPv4 address assigned, it also shows dchp enabled with the static ip listed.