Couple tips- some generic some for Samsung

wtbush

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Thought I'd share a few solutions from an only somewhat technical person. I have the Samsung Smartcam Pro running outdoors, and using Blue Iris software. The cam is not on the BI list so I had to set it all up (select the RTSP H.264/MJPG/MPEG4). It took me a while. Then once I set it up, I lost power and couldn't remember how I set it up. After finally getting it working again, I made a screen capture of every single tab in the BI and in the camera settings. It's come in handy and I recommend it.

Also, during my initial setup of the mobile app, I did the IP wrong. I had been using the IP of the CAMERA for my internal IP address. The BI desktop version LAN address has the IP address of the desktop computer. I thought that was wrong but it wasn’t changeable so I kept trying to put in the camera IP in my BI app, unsuccessfully. When I put in the IP of the desktop, matching the BI desktop software LAN address, it worked. Um, I guess that means I followed the instructions in the help screen of the app- put in the IP’s listed under the Web Server Tab. I was trying to be too smart and put in the cam ip instead. My bad.

Another time, I lost power and it appears BI had lost the camera settings and the cam was offline- mobile and desktop. Tried everything, or so I thought. However, I had enabled the "run as service" for remote restoration after outages. Stopping the service and rerunning BI restored everything. The Task Manager doesn't let you stop it, so you have to uncheck it and restart. I know it seems obvious, but I wasted an hour checking and reinputting settings until I tried it.

Another time, the desktop version was running but not the mobile on my iPhone, and I had input the settings over and over again, grr. I'm using port forwarding, which I don't know well enough to do more than follow instructions, and apparently not even that very well. Finally out of desperation, I selected the *wrong* camera on the desktop settings, then selected the right one- basically deleting and reloading. Then I changed the cam IP and then changed it back to what my router had it as, with the forwarded port. Along with stopping the service, one of those things did it, although I can't say which one because I was an an angry monkey hitting buttons by that time.

For Samsung Smartcam pro users, I searched around online and found a couple tweaks that worked, although I don't know why. The video path has to be /profile5/media.smp. The camera password has to be only the first 8 characters of the Samsung required 10 character password. This is undocumented, I believe. Go figure.

Finally, when it seemed like the cam feed was constantly freezing and catching up often, I stopped having BI open and running on multiple devices (duh).

Throughout all this, the Samsung software has been working fine. But it's so clunky compared to the elegant and powerful Blue Iris, I almost never use it.