Covering/protecting cameras from the elements

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should be covering cameras with some sort of cover like this:

1674501399468.png

I'm thinking about getting a IPC-Color4K-T180, and judging by the wall bracket PFB203W | Dahua Technology (dahuasecurity.com), it doesn't look like it provides much cover. What are the recommendations for these professional grade cameras? They are IP67, but what about sunlight, rain, snow, are they meant to last a few years under the elements?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Coverings for domes installed in areas unprotected is pretty much a needed or you get this at night with rain and infrared:

1674501928831.png

For bullets and turrets, those covers usually are not needed. Always a situation where maybe one is needed, but most of us have had these cameras in the elements for years with no issue.

I will get the occasional rain that may blow a certain way and put a few spots on the lens, but that cover wouldn't protect that.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Coverings for domes installed in areas unprotected is pretty much a needed or you get this at night with rain and infrared:

View attachment 151772

For bullets and turrets, those covers usually are not needed. Always a situation where maybe one is needed, but most of us have had these cameras in the elements for years with no issue.

I will get the occasional rain that may blow a certain way and put a few spots on the lens, but that cover wouldn't protect that.
What about sunlight? I guess they are made to take direct sunlight as well?

I'm planning to mainly use turrets, perhaps a bullet. I've used domes before from Unifi, extremely disappointed with the IR reflections, never again...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some have had the lens fade like headlights do and those were folks that had it protected up in the soffit. Others have gone years with no problems.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree, if you're dead set on using a dome, the cover can't hurt to help keep droplets from forming, but the elements arent a real problem.

Huuricane Irma 2017. The ttransformers start gowing at about 1:15
What type of camera was this? Dome?

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some have had the lens fade like headlights do and those were folks that had it protected up in the soffit. Others have gone years with no problems.
Ok, sounds good to me then, I just need to figure out how to hide the cables/connections, maybe using a junction box.