Coyote Captures A Rooster

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
A coyote spots a rooster down on the dirt road below our house. The rooster had been living on the hillside for a couple of weeks. Near the end of the video, a deer spots the coyote and begins to follow it. That's why the coyote runs off with the remains of the rooster. Most of the video runs at 10x speed.
PS - See if you can spot the large star on top of the roof of a house in the distance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good stuff as usual, lulu !
I live on 6-1/2 aces in a national forest; the closest house that someone actually lives in full time is about 1,500 ft. away...it's very rural. With woods all around and a 3 acre field in front of the house there's a lot of critter activity going on, especially at night. If it weren't for my cams we wouldn't be aware of most of it.

With the exception of the occasional fox screaming like a woman being gutted alive with a hunting knife, it's pretty quiet at night......just a few owls and in the summer, chuck-wills-widows.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it weren't for my cams we wouldn't be aware of most of it.
That is a good point. I send some videos to some of my neighbors around here showing some of the animals moving around at night. When I talk to them in person, some state that it is always quiet around their house. I tell them, how do you know, you do not have any cameras. That's when you get deer in the headlight look.
Another good video lulu. I was waiting for the bear to come out and get the deer and coyote, and throw in another chicken.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I live on 6-1/2 aces in a national forest; the closest house that someone actually lives in full time is about 1,500 ft. away...it's very rural. With woods all around and a 3 acre field in front of the house there's a lot of critter activity going on, especially at night. If it weren't for my cams we wouldn't be aware of most of it.

With the exception of the occasional fox screaming like a woman being gutted alive with a hunting knife, it's pretty quiet at night......just a few owls and in the summer, chuck-wills-widows.
I think that's a good reason for at least 2 more cameras near the spot where the fox screaming like a woman being guttered alive with a hunting knife is really just a fox screaming. :winktongue:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Yep, that's why I call my cams, "Critter Cams". The neighbors around here really are clueless or they wouldn't let their cats run around loose. While I only know of one FOR SURE that got taken by the coyotes, I'm sure there were more.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I call my cams, "Critter Cams". The neighbors around here really are clueless or they wouldn't let their cats run around loose. While I only know of one FOR SURE that got taken by the coyotes, I'm sure there were more.
We've got 4 small dogs, 2 Chihuahuas and 2 Chi mixes (started with 2, then 2 got dropped off by someone 6 years ago). :facepalm:

Anyway, we've got redtail hawks and B-I-G owls here, too. We walk the dogs on leashes daily outside their fenced run. The chain-link fence is set up in such a way as to deter swooping in, but we still go outside with them at night for their potty breaks even inside their area just to be safe.

Last edited:

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is what the coyote left behind. Just some of the tail feathers and some bone fragments. At normal speed, you could hear the coyote crunching on the bones.

View attachment 113138
To be honest, I was wondering how much is left after the coyote is done with the chicken and what it would look like. And here you post the aftermath picture of it. Thanks for fulfilling my curiosity.:p

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome capture(s)! At least it was dispatched with a violent neck snap .. coyotes are kind that way :lol:

Once in a while a grouse will smack into our chalet windows, or a groundhog will be found dead on our property and I'll leave it on the rocks for the foxes. It's always interesting, and even entertaining to watch them spot it and then come up on it. Sometimes they work fast, and other times it can take 15 minutes of putzing around before building the nerve to dive on it. Then commences the head shaking, as though it's still alive and they're snapping it's neck etc. The ground hogs are sometimes half the size of the smaller foxes, and it's comical to watch that fox trying to run with a 5lb weight dragging on the ground between it's legs.

Yet one of the foxes spots a raccoon, and it may advance but it won't attack. Or a skunk; same thing .. In certain cases they just know better not to attack. And God help them if they piss off the right, motivated fisher...