CPAI potential bugs?

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The last few days I noticed a lack of alerts, and logs indicating the ai server was not responding, and BI kept restarting it. During these times CPU and RAM usage would spike crazy high, like 99%/80% (i5-4650 w/ 8gb ram, using intel beta and substreams). Since that happened, I have thrown a dizzying array of config changes at it. Today I seemed to have lucked upon a fix(es); unfortunately due to the frenzied nature of the work I did, I can only speculate that these items were entirely at fault. Without going through my entire config (nothing special really), I'll mention the couple of items I think that made the difference.

1) CPAI crashes consistently if I attempt to run with the default object detection disabled in the main BI AI config page. Checking the box to use default object detection, then adding "objects:0" to all the cameras seems to work as expected. If I have default object detection unchecked, it only took a few recognitions before BI had to restart AI. I saw no note about this in any guides I've read. This behavior is very much repeatable!

2) Faces seemed to have issues. I currently have it disabled, and anytime I check the box, ai crashes repeatedly. Before I had it enabled with only 3 images to reference. It seemed to work as expected a few days. In the process of dealing with the crashes I turned faces off. After I did this, crashes (not related to the above setting) stopped, and recognition sped up drastically (from ~800ms to 150ms). This may be related... faces consistently returned a "could not add 'name'" (3 messages, with the names of the images) when I click on the faces button in the main BI ai config. After a bit of a delay (~1min) and clicking OK to the error messages, the window would finally open and all 3 images showed there. If I check faces and hit ok, ai locks up hard and won't work until I uncheck it. Again, this behavior is very repeatable.

3) I noticed in the cpia browser window, some logs about cuda being enabled?! Of course that should fail without nvidia, which I don't have. I had cuda unchecked in the main BI ai config when this happened. Whether I check cuda or not, the logs show up in cpai.

The next few days I won't have any motivation to continue examining this. It's Christmas eve, and I've got lots of dadding to do. I just wanted to drop this here before I get caught up in the holiday and forget. If anyone has ideas, or things for me to test to help pinpoint a fix, please let me know.

Cheers,
Kevin