CPU 100%

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is certainly a dumb question, but if BI is telling me that my CPU is hitting 100% on video playback (40ish% when idle with 5 cams) and sometimes if other processes are running in the background, is it simply a matter of upgrading the CPU? This is what I purchased from eBay in Feb 2019. Upgraded with 4TB surveillance drive.
1609602800635.png

I should note that I would like to add more cams in the future.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you doing direct to disk recording?

What FPS are the cameras set to, and what resolution are they?

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you doing direct to disk recording?

yes

What FPS are the cameras set to, and what resolution are they?
[/QUOTE]
cameras are set to 25-30 FPS, 2mp

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Why 25-30FPS? 15FPS is fine for surveillance purposes. You're not producing a Hollywierd Epic just trying to see who did what and when.

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I set mine to 15FPS, still plenty of FPS to catch anything that happens, and it cut CPU by a bunch

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd give it a try at least, I can't even tell the difference honestly

Keep in mind a MOVIE is just 24fps

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can see the cameras I'm using in my sig line, total is about 80 megapixels per second . My CPU, granted a bit more powerful than your, sits at 7% most of the time using substreams. Look into that. It makes a YUGE difference. I'm also using hardware acceleration on all cameras as well as direct to disk recording.

Higher fram rates will not eliminate motion blur. Motion blur is the result of the shitter speed being too low. 1/60 will still have blur. 1/120 is about as low as it can go without blurring.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd give it a try at least, I can't even tell the difference honestly

Keep in mind a MOVIE is just 24fps
I’ll definitely give it a try. I assume, then, that I shouldn’t really be having issues with maxing out CPU?

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can see the cameras I'm using in my sig line, total is about 80 megapixels per second . My CPU, granted a bit more powerful than your, sits at 7% most of the time using substreams. Look into that. It makes a YUGE difference. I'm also using hardware acceleration on all cameras as well as direct to disk recording.

Higher fram rates will not eliminate motion blur. Motion blur is the result of the shitter speed being too low. 1/60 will still have blur. 1/120 is about as low as it can go without blurring.

Fantastic! I was unaware of the update that allowed for these sub stream options. I will definitely check it out. I’d like to avoid having to upgrade anything if necessary.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Question is, when I scrub through recordings I'm now seeing the sub stream view, does that mean its recording twice?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Bottom line with motion blur at night is that it generally takes more light, either visible or IR, to be able to eliminate blur.

@IReallyLikePizza2 The sub streams are used for motion detection and viewing multiple cameras on the console or with UI3. When you single frame a camera on either, or play back recordings, clips, alerts or full files, the main stream is the source. BI also records both streams in the most recent updates. Recording of the sub stream can be disabled if you don't want both recorded.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bottom line with motion blur at night is that it generally takes more light, either visible or IR, to be able to eliminate blur.

@IReallyLikePizza2 The sub streams are used for motion detection and viewing multiple cameras on the console or with UI3. When you single frame a camera on either, or play back recordings, clips, alerts or full files, the main stream is the source. BI also records both streams in the most recent updates. Recording of the sub stream can be disabled if you don't want both recorded.
This is a game changer, I bet OP will fix his CPU between this and the FPS reduction
Looking forward to giving it a try! May also look into external IR blaster to increase lighting and reduce motion blur.

@sebastiantombs will recording this second sub stream in addition to the main stream take up a lot of recording space?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I just monitored my storage and you can't even tell, the sub stream is so small that I guess it really just doesn't take up any noteworthy space

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any additional recording will take up more space. I run the sub streams at the lowest possible resolution that still maintains a reasonable picture in the monitors. I have a single 4TB drive for recording and haven't noticed any significant difference in how much video I can review.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just monitored my storage and you can't even tell, the sub stream is so small that I guess it really just doesn't take up any noteworthy space
Any additional recording will take up more space. I run the sub streams at the lowest possible resolution that still maintains a reasonable picture in the monitors. I have a single 4TB drive for recording and haven't noticed any significant difference in how much video I can review.
Thank you so much!