Cpu Generation

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so on this page Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

which was updated jun 2020, it list only 6th gen as the top end.. are we able to utilize a 9th gen i9 cpu? im runing 26 4k cameras, and i want 4k recordings and at the least 2/3k viewing.. with mobile devices that have 4k screens i dont see why they cant view a 4k stream.. we have very good internal network with plenty of available bandwidth for local streaming should we connect at home,, externally or on the road,, yeah.. 2k is plenty if the cell signal is good enough..

anyways back to main questions.. im looking to purchase new motherboard with quad channel ram.. i am GUESSING 32g of ram is enough, otherwise ill just go 64.. but i wanted to get an i9 8c/12t cpu... will this work ok?

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any of the new Intel processors will work, especially the 9th or 10th gen i9.
Thanks, Im going forward with the 19-9900k and 64g of dual channel ram.... orr... since the 19 is only compatiable with dual channel mobo (asus for life fan here) otherwise I would have to switch to a different cpu.. i hope the dual channel ram will be sufficient..

Reaction score
It is going to depend on the bitrate and FPS your 4K cams are using. Why 26 4K? What is 4K buying you over 2K?

I currently have 18 cams (4 4MP and the rest 2MP) running at 15FPS. Daytime numbers are 11000kB/s and 675 MP/s. BI runs the CPU at 25% and GPU at 42%. All set direct to disk 24/7.

It is an i7-8700 on an ASUS mb with 32GB RAM in 2x16GB DDR4 3000. I still have five more cams to install. But this system will do fine.

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well. because they are not ptz i like 4k because the digital zoom is quite nice,, so i can get an effect of zoom.. i have 5 30x zoom hikvision(only 2k) and its just so fun to move them around,, however i wanted stationary cameras for more aimed security.. example a black mercades rolled up this morning.. due to 4k I was able to zoom quite a bit in and see who the people were. and still maintaining a sharp image..

when blue iris releases a AUto Tracting feature, i will dump all the cameras for ptz mini domes in a heartbeat.. but im just a padawan-learner here.. still learning how to use the software.. mine my computer crash and reboots which im assuming is due to blueiris showing 100% cpu usage.. and yes.. i have followed the cpu optimization.. but this is just a i5 quad core with no HT processing.. so.. lnot a supprize it cant handle it lol

right now im looking at getting 4 12tb hdd for the storage.. which should give me about 2 weeks or so.