CPU Maxing Out... Help Diagnosing

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I will see if we can upgrade to bi 5. I will ensure all cameras are on intel. hdmi will still be connected to the 1070. I am wondering if part of this issue could be the hard drive as well. It is a 5400 rpm drive. Would writing to a struggling 5400 drive direct disc cause cpu increases?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mrfrankmrfrank

I do not see this problem being caused by the disk drive speed. I see it being a problem with high CPU utilization.

How many concurrent systems (UI3) do you have accessing the BI server ? Do you have other displays around the shop, to monitor the cameras ?

Are your play back problems only on the I: drive Or are they worse when using the network drive (TANK) ?
Is the network drive (TANK) located in the shop ?

On the I: drive what is the average file size for the BVR files ?
Are you using time stamps on the video ? If so where is the timestamp added, in the camera or in BI ?

Reaction score
I wanted to follow up here in case anyone else runs into a similar situation. I think a small percentage of the issue might have been the drive. I had been diagnosing this issue remotely for the longest time and finally got hands on with it on Friday. The drive I was writing direct to disk was a wd green drive. I replaced that with a purple.

The actual issue though turned out to be as follows. Originally we had all of the cameras decoding via the nvidia cuda on the 2070. At the advice here I had moved each camera to the intel decoder. We were still maxing out the cpu 100%. It was at this point I realized that the actual intel gpu was not being detected by windows and there was zero gpu decoding happening on the box. I went into the bios and saw that the gpu selection was set to auto... which with the 2070 installed meant that it was disabling the intel gpu and thus disabling intel decoding.

I changed the bios to "both" for gpu and went back into windows. After the driver installed I recycled the blue iris service and we're averaging around 50% cpu utilization.

Thank you all for the help.