CPU spikes, whole machine unresponsive

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We don't use the BI Viewer 2.52 Java app, so I have no experience with it. Instead my company uses Bp2008's "Better remote-live-view pages for Blue Iris" HTML pages for remote viewing. At times we have 3 or 4 people accessing Blue Iris with it...and without much CPU degradation it seems. Thanks again to Bp2008!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Duhh moment. Noticed something that greatly effects the CPU usage (though can't pin it down to this every time I see a lockup).

On my BI server, CPU usage is at 40% when operating normally. Connecting to BI on my LAN using BI Viewer 2.5.2, quality set to High Efficiency, never using Instant Replay, CPU on BI machine jumps to 80%. Quality set to maximum, BI machine locks up and won't recover even after BI Viewer is closed. I'm usually running it on "Balanced" which has similar CPU effect as High Efficiency. Sometimes we have two instances of the BI Viewer running in the house. I admit it never occurred to me that BI Viewer and server's CPU could be related but it seems to have a huge impact. The BI iOS app has an almost negligible effect on CPU.

Is this expected behavior while viewing 6 IP cameras via BI Viewer? Not even 100% sure this is causing all of my CPU problems, but either way, it looks like I need to find a new way to view the cameras on our local PCs.. Maybe luck out on a half-decent IP cam viewer from the Windows store that'll connect directly to each cam.
Try using the BI activex viewer via IE. It should use very little resources.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't like the thought of using a browser to view my cameras but UI2 is really nice as well as the allcams.htm page which resembles the java viewer more (just lesser quality but I guess that's why not much CPU usage).

Thanks for the suggestions and all of the help here. Really do appreciate it.