CPU stats for a dedicated Blue Iris server?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm working on building a dedicated blue iris server. I'm wondering what kind of a cpu I need. I currently have 4 feeds and may add 2 more in the future. I plan to continually record from all feeds (for a total of 6 camera feeds). I've been looking at the 10th gen intel core processors. Not sure if I should go for an i3 or an i5 model. I don't want to be cheap and buy a cpu that will cause the system to lag. At the same time, the only function for this PC is to continuously record footage, so I don't want to overpay for extra clockspeed that I'll never really use.

In your opinions, which of the intel core processors would be best to use for the above setup? Also, what should the clockspeed for each core be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
hopefully at least 6. ok i see a 10100 core i3 had 4cores with 8 threads. thats pretty good. don't cheap out on a surveilance drive. I did at first, and noticed a lag in playback and seek times for older video was horrendously slow. WD purp handles 10-12 cams pretty good.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
my 4 core 8 thread i7 3770 ran the same Cameras . but only 14-15, but it was coupled with SMR drive technology on the WD Blue drives, and so I can't say whhat exactly was the bottleneck. but when I ran the new box with the i5-8500, with the shitty Blue drives it acted stammery and hesitant. So i shitcanned the blue drives and went with 1 8 TB WD purple drive. better. but spliting the load across 2 drives was even faster responsiveness.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as you follow the optimizations in the wiki and do EVERY one of them, you can make a lesser (cheaper) machine very capable.

A member here was running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU.

If you got the money for a 10th gen, the go for it, but you can get by with an older processor as well.

My 4th gen i7 hums along with BI at sub 15% with way more cameras than you are proposing.

You can also check out this site that pulls anonymous BI computer data so that you can compare computers. It is an interesting chart because you can tell which ones have done the optimizations. Do a search by CPU 4770 for example and you will see many people running 30 plus cameras at sub 15% CPU, while others have a few cameras and are over 40%

Blue Iris Update Helper

And the wiki: