CPU suggestion (AM4)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here, I have a PC that I've been using as a media server that I'd like to do double duty as a video recorder. In it's current state it can't really handle 1 camera so I'd like to do an upgrade. Below is what I have.

Currently:
CPU: i3-3105
Board: Supermicro X8SI6
Ram: 8gb
Video: on board
SSD (OS): 250gb
HDD (Storage): (4) 8TB Ironwolfs (storage spaces turned on so 14TB is usable, I'd dedicate 4TB to camera recording)

Upgrade:
CPU: ? I (bought a 3300X 5 months ago and am giving up on it arriving)
Board: B450 Tomahawk Max
Ram: 16gb
Video: GT710
NVMe (OS): 500GB 970 Evo
HDD (Storage): (4) 8TB Ironwolfs (storage spaces turned on so 14TB is usable, I'd dedicate 4TB to camera recording)
Cameras: Currently 3 Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-IB, might add 2 later?
Software: Blue Iris

I'm really not sure what to get CPU wise, I was thinking about a 3600 or maybe trying to get a 5600X on launch. Also would a video card upgrade help for decoding?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buy a used business computer off of EBAY. You can get an excellent deals on much higher end computers. Than wasting money on the 9 year computer you are trying to upgrade.. You may be able to use the ssd and disk drives. I would recommend a minimum of an i7-6700 as it support excellent quicksync. A full case, not an sff

Read

Reaction score
Buy a used business computer off of EBAY. You can get an excellent deals on much higher end computers. Than wasting money on the 9 year computer you are trying to upgrade.. You may be able to use the ssd and disk drives. I would recommend a minimum of an i7-6700 as it support excellent quicksync. A full case, not an sff

Read
Thanks for the quick response! I should have been clearer in my OP, I already have everything under the upgrade other than the cpu. I ordered a 3300X 5 months ago and am still waiting on it to come off backorder. Actually everything other than the drives that are in the current system are still unopened. The drives are a little less than a year old so they are good. Thanks for the suggestion of the i7-7600K, that gives me an idea of what to get minimally on the AM4 side.

Reaction score
No it doesn't, as AMD lacks quick sync.
Yeah, I've spent the morning looking into that...

Well, looks like I'm gong Intel. I think I might end up getting a i7-9700K and a MSI Z390 board as combined they are about $420. My current case has room for a couple more drives so I'll grab a 8TB purple and have Blue Iris record to that. The case, drives, psu, fans and cooler are all less than a year old so no reason to replace any of that. I used the info and the (# of cameras * MP * FPS) formula I found here to get to the 9700K if wondering why I picked that.

Thanks again for the help here guys, I've got a long ways to go but I'm learning :).

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With the substream feature in Blue Iris, CPU capabilities are not much of a factor anymore. I've got 14 cameras running on an i7-6700K and rarely get over 10% CPU utilization. All are running 10FPS, 10 iframe both in main and sub streams. Bit rates are 2048 main steam, 256 sub stream on virtually all of them. Three are 4MP and eleven are 2MP. In fact, two of the 2MP don't support a substream and are running at full load in BI. Re-run your calculations based on the sub stream rates you anticipate, not the mainstream rates.

Reaction score
Update, I ended going with a 10700K and cpu utilization isn't going much past 9% typically. 98% with the old i3 to 9% is a nice bump. The smoothness of use when rdping is almost worth it on its own. I'm recording with 2 cams right now, direct to disk, 8.3mp, 30fps, 1,300kB/s. I'll be adding at least 2 more if not 6. Overall massive improvement and I was able to use everything other than the motherboard I had. I did pickup a 10tb wd purple drive for camera recording.

Thanks again all!