CPU usage creeping up slowly

Moose

n3wb
Reaction score
Does everyone still update Windows with auto driver download disabled?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been running the latest intel 23.20.16.4944 for the past 8 hours with no increase in memory or cpu usage.

Moose

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been running the latest intel 23.20.16.4944 for the past 8 hours with no increase in memory or cpu usage.
Was this included in the March cumulative update to Windows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
I just moved my build from a Haswell i7 to a Skylake i7 and was experiencing this issue. The recommended driver version has be fixed CPU levels where they should be (went from 100% to 30-ish).

Thanks a ton to those who figured this out and shared the solution!!!!

Fvhemert

n3wb
Reaction score
After having a rock stable system for many weeks the BI server started to act up again resulting in frequent system freezes without any hint or trace of what happened.
I have checked the version of the video driver I used and noticed the "prevent update policy" is still working and the driver is at the right version (even after several updates).
Most of the crashes happened overnight or in my absence and since there was no information in the event logs or crash dumps I was totally in the dark...until last week.
BI server locked up twice and I noticed a message that "Windows Defender completed a full scan and did not find any threads".

When I installed BI I have manually created the exceptions for the related directories so I know it is not scanning the BI directories.
I now have temporarily disabled the Windows Defender Services such as real-time scan and and the BI server is up for 4+ days without any issues. Not sure if this is leading me to solution of the very frustrating problem but for now is just too much coincidence for me.

I'll post my updates and findings here. Fingers crossed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well.... I received an email from BI saying to enable "direct to disc recording" and "limit decoding unless required" for each camera and this so far has worked great. I'm hovering around 12% CPU usage and it's been about 10min. You can find out where these settings are and a bunch of others in this thread. Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk I don't want to get too excited too soon but this looks promising.
Limit decoding will not help you. And it may cause other issues...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a very vague statement. What issues can it cause? I disabled that feature on my 5 cameras and my average CPU usage jumped up over 20%. My 3min average is 38% with it disabled. 3min average with it enabling it is now 12%. so it's definitely helping.
It's not strange at all if you would read up on what the function actually does... It's disgusting extensively on this fourm and in The Help file... It will do absolutely nothing for a memory leak issue... And it will cease functioning when you try to remote View... Bumping Cpu you right back up.. completely useless advice given to you by support...

tofu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the memory leak issue still a problem these days?
Yes, but mine has nothing to do with video divers. A specific camera, la view doorbell, seems to be the culprit. I've "solved" it by having watchdog reconnect it every 30 min.