Create 'loopback' single camera showing all cameras (index)

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
There's no easy way to title this... But if you've ever wanted to see all of your cameras during playback so you can see a subject move from one camera to the next - without having to use the console (i.e. use the phone app or web browser), you can simply add a camera that is an index of all others. It looks like this:

2016-04-18_9-14-13.jpg

The beauty of this, of course, is when you set it up to record constantly at 1 FPS, you get a usable time-lapse recording of the entire day that makes reviewing the day quick, simple, and reliable. And, at 1 FPS, it uses about 3GB per 24hour period.

1) Add a camera
2) Video tab/configure button configure as follows:

2016-04-18_9-24-48.jpg

- The HTTP:// field should be of the local machine (LAN)
- Under path, "index" can be replaced with any group or single camera shortname
- The "?stream=1" defines which stream this camera will pull (0, 1, or 2). It is not required to put this in, but if you want to limit the camera to a specific bitrate, use it.

3) Under the record tab:

2016-04-18_9-32-51.jpg

- While this isn't necessary, if you want to reduce files size, while still making sure you're recording everything (not just when motion triggers a recording) these are the settings you'll want.
- Limiting the recording to a 24 hour period makes reviewing and locating specific days much easier.

This is also a great way to monitor remote BI servers without having to record each camera individually. For example, at my vacation home, my upload bandwidth is only 1mbps. While I'd love to record each camera at full res/frame rate remotely, I can't. Instead, I have my primary home's BI server log into the remote BI server, and pull the index. This way, I have a good overview of what is happening - albeit, the resolution is too poor to identify. It is still better than nothing, and it gives me some off-site backup capabilities.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Good to know, thanx! and if you make the index cam 'hidden', it won't appear in itself...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Good to know, thanx! and if you make the index cam 'hidden', it won't appear in itself...
I wish that were the case, but unfortunately, hidden cameras only disappear in on the server's console view. They still show up on the browser and app's index view.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It works if you give all the cams a group name (such as "home") except this cam and replace "index" with "home". Meaning that the Path of /h264/index becomes /h264/home

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Correct, but that's not the same as hiding. My issue with groups is that they're listed first in the app under cameras. After a while you get so many of them you can't get to the cameras quickly. I know, nothing's perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: