critique before purchase on home surveillance

Papar1on

n3wb
Reaction score
i hope i did enough reading to gather this list of parts i plan to install around my house and purchase from andy
I have existing amcrest doorbell and a spotlight (as indicated location) and the next step is to go with more robust cameras throughout the perimeter of the house now.

So far my only questionalbe doubt are the two 3.6mm type cameras that are on the south side of the house.
  • the LED-S2 3.6mm version is going to be facing down a long garden path
  • the second non led 3.6 would be mounted onto the facade of the house getting a view of the front lawn, but slightly facing towards the top left since where it's located is a bunch of tall, dense shrubbery

if i did plot this it out correctly (or not), please inform me since the suggested hardware i've gathered where also based off Andy's upcoming BF+thankgiving sale post with cross refernce from users who reviewed them also

thank you

1) IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm
1) IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm
2) IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED S2 2.8mm
1) IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED S2 3.6mm

HJaqet3G0J111822.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Make sure you read the cliff notes located in the wiki at the top of the page. It is kind of hard to determine what you are trying to cover with each camera with the aerial view, at least for me. It is OK to start with a single cam and build from there, the Dahua 5442 varifocal gives you a good idea of views and coverage. I like cameras that also look at cameras for coverage. Don't try to cover too much with one camera. Are you planning on using Blue Iris, I assume. Do you have the hardware to run BI.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Three comments.

1 - 2.8mm lenses are nice for overview but are useless for identification unless the subject is within 15 feet or less of the camera.

2 - Your layout does not show mounting heights for the cameras. Higher 7-1/2' will result in getting nice captures of the top of heads, hoodies and hats. Keep the cameras at 7-1/2' or lower.

3 - I agree with Rob2020. Having cameras oriented so that they effectively watch each other is a prerequisite for a good surveillance system, at least to me.

Papar1on

n3wb
Reaction score
When you think you've read enought, nope! Keep reading down the rabbit hole dammit!

1- from the sidewalk to the top left corner of the house is roughly 30ft. So yea, a 5442-ZE would be more ideal to get the viewing distance neded to cover my sidewalk from both angles

2- the ground to soffit height is 8ft but will be installed at the 7ft mark.

3- I have on hand aa dell i5-6700 SFF for a dedicated BI box

forgot to mention i already have a boobie cam (IPC-HDBW4231F-AS ) underneath the gabled entry facing towards my front door where my AD410 is facing it also. That "was" working at some point through previously ubiquity security sofware but that mess i gave up on. So hopefully i can reutilize it within BI this time

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
When you think you've read enought, nope! Keep reading down the rabbit hole dammit!

1- from the sidewalk to the top left corner of the house is roughly 30ft. So yea, a 5442-ZE would be more ideal to get the viewing distance neded to cover my sidewalk from both angles

2- the ground to soffit height is 8ft but will be installed at the 7ft mark.

3- I have on hand aa dell i5-6700 SFF for a dedicated BI box

forgot to mention i already have a boobie cam (IPC-HDBW4231F-AS ) underneath the gabled entry facing towards my front door where my AD410 is facing it also. That "was" working at some point through previously ubiquity security sofware but that mess i gave up on. So hopefully i can reutilize it within BI this time
One of the reasons I recommend starting slow is you learn so much of what works and what does not work as your plan and skills evolve.

The latest thing I learned, I have enough light from two LED streetlights to run two Dahua 5442 3.6 in full color with good results. I picked up a 8 MP Dahua with a 1.8 sensor for improved face resolution. I thought I could run the 8 mp at night in full color because the location is very close to the 5442's , nope, lesson learned.

Reaction score
is it possible to dig a small trench and run some outdoor cat6 cables to your yards?
If possible, I would always recommend left & right side of driveway and 2 out near the sidewalk entrance of any establishment. I would also always tell folks (if can afford it) to put a 20x or 40x zoom AI PTZ camera somewhere out front to auto-track those pesky HUMANS.
HJaqet3G0J111822a.png