Cropping a camera view.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you crop unwanted areas of a camera view. I upgraded to a new camera with a wide field of view. About 1/3 of the frame is just the side of the house and I want to crop it. I want to narrow it down so it it just the walkway. I have done this before on a prior version of BI but I can't remember how. I thought there was a way to just drag the border but remember how.

Thanks for reading
John

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera make and model?

I ask because some cameras have a "corridor view" settable in the camera's webGUI, it changes the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 9:16 or from 4:3 to 3:4 without distortion.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is an Amcrest. Not sure of the model number. I just looked at the webGui and can't find the "corridor view" settings. It sounds like exactly the thing I need. Can you give me a clue?

Thanks for the help
John

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have this option?

View attachment 197315
That will rotate the image to match the camera's mount rotation; 180 would be if camera is mounted upside-down from normal.

He needs a change in aspect ratio; camera and/or mount is not rotated but what the camera displays as a "normal" 16 wide to 9 high ratio (1920 x 1080 is 16:9) becomes 9:16 in "corridor" mode (narrow top and bottom, wide on sides, just opposite of "normal").

EDIT 6/28 @ 0626 CDT: See post #6 for method to achieve "corridor" mode.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If no available "corridor view" you could do this (I just did it with an Amcrest IP2M-841):
  • Re-mount camera, rotating its face 90°
  • Log into cam's webGUI to "Setup" => "Camera" => "Configuration" and select from the drop-down menu in "Flip" the "90° "
  • Depending on which direction your 90° was chosen you may have to select the radio button for "Mirror"
  • Click on "Save."
In Blue Iris the video settings for "Rotate" would be set to "0" (zero).

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have this option?

View attachment 197315
As it turns out, you are partially correct.

This can provide a "corridor view" as desired if you also physically re-mount the camera 90° from its original orientation, select "Flip" to "90° " and depending on how it was accomplished also select the "mirror" button. I covered this in the above post #6.

Thanks for the nudge to look into this further for the OP. :cool:

Last edited:

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As it turns out, you are partially correct.

This can provide a "corridor view" as desired if you also physically re-mount the camera 90° from its original orientation, select "Flip" to "90° " and depending on how it was accomplished also select the "mirror" button. I covered this in the above post #6.

Thanks for the nudge to look into this further for the OP. :cool:
I can get to the screen that Mr. aesterling suggests. Even rotating the camera and the view then adjusting the aspect ratio does not get to a good corridor view. I must be missing something. The thing that has me flummoxed is I have another camera that I did this on a couple of year ago and I just can't remember how. I THINK it was all done from BI and it was just involved a simple crop using the mouse to drag the border.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, I physically rotated the cam 90°, selected rotate 90° in the cam's webGUI but never had to make any changes in Blue Iris, didn't monkey with the aspect ratio; it automatically went to 4:3 for 640 x 480.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Tacoman You could also try the Area of interest (AOl) option in Camera settings > Video tab. From the help file, "The AOI (area of interest) setting may be used with network IP cameras to select a sub-set of the camera’s video frame as the video source."

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 11.30.33.png

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That worked perfectly. One thing though, you can't have the Anaporphic box checked. If you have it checked the image will be resized to fit the display area.