Cube camera outdoors??

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there anyone who has the Hik cube camera mounted outdoors under an eave that hasn't had any problems?? Potential customer wants camera at front door with speaker microphone.

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have it pointed out my window behind a bug-screen, sort of exposed to the sun and light rain but in heavy rain i take it down. So far so good!

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a covered porch so I'm thinking it'll be fine.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I had one for half a year outdoor in the porch, no problem. It's now indoors will be 2 years soon. Frankly microphone isn't that great. Dahua has turret with better microphone

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there anyone who has the Hik cube camera mounted outdoors under an eave that hasn't had any problems?? Potential customer wants camera at front door with speaker microphone.
As long as the camera is not in a large amount of direct sunlight or exposed directly to the elements (rain) I believe you would be fine as the temp range certification on these is pretty wide.

Operating Temperature Range: 0° C to 40° C (-22° F to 104° F)

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I could get away with just microphone I would be good. Customer wants like an intercom system. I might have to do Hik microphone cam and something like Ring to make em happy.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just installed another Hik cube inside for a customer and the mic and speaker are okay. Took some adjustments but they're happy.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
If I could get away with just microphone I would be good. Customer wants like an intercom system. I might have to do Hik microphone cam and something like Ring to make em happy.
I've tried ring personally and was not a fan at all - I'll take video security and a home alarm over the ring system any day. Just me personally though.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've tried ring personally and was not a fan at all - I'll take video security and a home alarm over the ring system any day. Just me personally though.
Thats where I'm at also. I have a re meet with customer tommorrow so we'll see how it goes. I would much rather do an alarm and camera system then an intercom system. My monitoring company can monitor Blue Iris also..

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Meet with customer again. Gonna give the Cube cam at the front door a try. Customer wants to have the ability to talk to and listen to anyone that's at the front door. If anyone has any ideas or can offer me advice please feel free.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Why not just open the door to "talk and listen"? :)

Seriously though, with these cubes I was not able to talk AND listen at the same time without getting echo or feedback.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I missed that part, but in any case I was frustrated with the whole "talk and listen" feature personally. It wasn't the same as using dedicated "talk and listen" device.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds like your customer has been influenced by the Ring commercials. If that's what he wants, why not get him a Ring or Skybell?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to and put a standard cam over the door.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I should be able to add the ring system to BI since it's on the network.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Hm, SkyBell looks good, might have to upgrade my bell :)

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I looked at the SkyBell also. My concern is the height of mounting of their existing doorbell button.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Found another solution. What about the DS-2CD2532F-IS? If I use a poe splitter in the junction box and use the +/- off the second line from the poe splitter to power a speaker, I can install a mini speaker. What ya think?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
There is someone on the forum already done exactly that, you can probably find it in the search, but it wasn't just the hardware. What about the entire user experience? With the Hikvision cube it wasn't all that pleasant. Someone calls the door, I unlock the phone, launch the IP cam app, select the front door camera, find and press tiny button to talk and then press it again to disable the talk and press button to listen only to find out that I miss part of the response... it wasn't all that fun... Perhaps SkyBell takes the pain away from this experience.