Cut the cable

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess it must be possible to cut the two cables to the ipcam and replace it with a rj45 plug, then of course you have to rely on poe, but that's fine for me.

kabel.jpg

The thing is that I don't want to drill a big hole through the wall, only just enough for the cable, and the space in the camera bottom is very limited.

What about the colour is it a or b, I guess I have to cut up the rj 45 and look fot myself, but is it possible?

ethernet-crimping-tool.jpg

plug.jpg

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are these going inside or outside ? I wouldn't cut anything, your just asking for trouble here. Just drill the big hole and be done with it most likely the camera will stay in this spot for a life time anyway. Why don't you want to drill a hole?

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to drill a hole, that's for sure. The network and power are inside.
But every hole in the wall makes it more venerable to water and you also damaging the moisture barrier (Is that the correct name in english?).
That's why I rather drill a small hole and maybe put a data socket on the inside.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Do not cut the cable. The coloring code is available but what you are trying to do is just asking for possible problems.

Just drill the hole then seal it properly with calk/silicon and you will be fine.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I need to drill a hole, that's for sure. The network and power are inside.
But every hole in the wall makes it more venerable to water and you also damaging the moisture barrier (Is that the correct name in english?).
That's why I rather drill a small hole and maybe put a data socket on the inside.
Your thinking about this the wrong way. Just drill the hole

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am not entirely sure what you are trying to do by cutting the cable, but if it is only to make the cable disappear on a flush mount to the wall and you don't want to drill a hole larger than 6mm, just buy a thin accessory box for your camera model (look on the bottom data sheet for your model). they are like $20. Alternatively you could install a larger junction box and paint it the color of the wall (it looks better than you think).

p.s. i also wish the vast majority of camera bases had an additional 1/2" of base plate volume so the cable could be placed in there neatly.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Leave the connector outside, in a PVC pipe or box, is what I do.
Drill a tiny hole for the ethernet cable and crimp it outside (or crimp one end and the other through the outside wall to inside w/e)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just tried to hack a camera by cutting the plug off and resoldering it back to the wiring harness inside.. and well it dont get a network connection anymore and I tossed it into the trash.

use a junction box if your too big of a pussy to drill a large enough hole for it..

RazorsEDGE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've done this a million times for Axis cameras at work. They use 568A and I've never had a problem but they are straight poe with no separate power plug like the Dahua. This could easily be done but you would be making the assumption that the cable follows either A or B. If it's not A or B then you'd be on your own trying to figure out the pin-out which won't be easy.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said, either mount the cam on a junction box, or run the cable to a separate junction box and connect it there.
It would help if you would give more detail about where you are mounting it. If it's under the soffit, and you have an attic, there is almost always a way to run the wire without drilling through the wall.

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I work as an electrician and wiring houses on a daily basis, so it's not that I'm afraid of drilling a hole in wall.
No I don't want to use a junction box, not my style. :)

Just thought that the cables to the cam was kind of thick and I may easily could cut it and replace it with a rj 45 connector on the inside.
I guess if I peel the cable carefully and follow the colours It would work...

...but all right guys, I'll listening to what you're saying.
I'll make a bigger hole... I guess :)

M!key

n3wb
Reaction score
If I'm running POE, can I cut off the extra 12v barrel plug? Any one do this with no issue?

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm running POE, can I cut off the extra 12v barrel plug? Any one do this with no issue?
As long as you don't short the wires.
I personally wouldn't unless I really have to, feels bad.