Cutting Down A Palm Tree

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Gotta give him props on the chainsaw work and how he handles it. Wonder how long the gaffes are on those spikes? I'm not really familiar with palm trees but I suspect they're quite similar to pine in terms of bark thickness and how easily it can slough off. Watching you can see the effort he has to use to to pull them when he starts working his way back down.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta give him props on the chainsaw work and how he handle it. Wonder how long the gaffes are on those spikes? I'm not really familiar with palm trees but I suspect they're quite similar to pine in terms of bark thickness and how easily it can slough off. Watching you can see the effort he has to use to to pull them when he starts working his way back down.
Yep...he's done that before....a FEW times.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll venture he was somewhere between 60 and 70 feet up when trimming the fronds off the top.

I've used a chainsaw when on a tree with spikes. The biggest problem, to me, is getting it started. You just don't have the leverage compared to standing on the ground with free space all around you. The other trick is to use a smaller saw. I used a 10 inch saw which made it easy to control.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll venture he was somewhere between 60 and 70 feet up when trimming the fronds off the top.

I've used a chainsaw when on a tree with spikes. The biggest problem, to me, is getting it started. You just don't have the leverage compared to standing on the ground with free space all around you. The other trick is to use a smaller saw. I used a 10 inch saw which made it easy to control.
Quite possible. Some of these palm trees can grow to 100 ft. I would suspect the 70-80 foot range is most common. There are some in my neighborhood that have to be close to that tall.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You're still here, posting and if you still have all your fingers and toes I'd say you were "good enough !" :cool:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I did not like climbing poles with those spikes back in the day, can't imagine doing it and using a chain saw.
I was gonna say that when I did it for ATT many moons ago we were all about being very kind to the pole.;)

Only climbed for 2 years then transferred to the city and they all used bucket trucks. They thought I was a God when I had to put on the gaffs to get to something they couldn't reach with the bucket :lmao:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd be leaning back and waiting for it to burn out as he does at the end.

I would imagine a modern synthetic rope wouldn't react well to fire unless they're specially treated. I guess the moral on the story here is if you set the top of your palm tree on fire, be carefule where ou throw it, or it might come back to haunt you.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a shot from this afternoon of a guy taking down a tree in our front yard that was getting too big and overhanging the roof too much. He's about 50' up where he's standing fixing a rope to lower that branch down after he cuts it, roughly 20 feet up a branch off the main trunk,

out on a limb.jpg

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You've got a heck of a view and heck of a zoom.

I wonder if an electric saw would be good for in this case? I picked up a Ryobi 40v and it worked well cleaning up from last years ice storm. Went through walnut, oak, black locust, cherry, and apple woods just fine. Not sure which would be heavier, but it sure is nice not having an idling saw when you aren't cutting.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
He was using a Husqvarna 14" electric, 187WH battery. He went through two batteries worth doing the work here. I charged them for him, his charger, to make sure he always had a spare ready to go and he left with a full one. That worked out because he picked up two more small jobs in the neighborhood while he was here.

Camera is a Galaxy S10+ phone.