Cutting Video

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If, for example, I have an eight hour bvr file and seven hours 58 seconds of this file is rubbish, can I cut the rubbish out, keep the two minutes and then have it so that BI will record it in it's database?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If, for example, I have an eight hour bvr file and seven hours 58 seconds of this file is rubbish, can I cut the rubbish out, keep the two minutes and then have it so that BI will record it in it's database?
No, you can easily cut it and export it to mp4/avi using the export function and the red/green sliders at the bottom of the clip. You should not be manually deleting files simply to save disk space. You will go crazy micro managing storage.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, but once you've cut it, will it be visible in BI and will it be registered as part of the database?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, but once you've cut it, will it be visible in BI and will it be registered as part of the database?
If you put it in the proper folder and rebuild the database ..but why are you doing this ?

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you put it in the proper folder and rebuild the database ..but why are you doing this ?
What format would you have to save the video in and what would happen to the alerts?

Back to your question; purely to save on space. If I've got a file which is say 6GB and I only need say 100MB, doesn't it make sense?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What format would you have to save the video in and what would happen to the alerts?

Back to your question; purely to save on space. If I've got a file which is say 6GB and I only need say 100MB, doesn't it make sense?
Alerts are simply pointers to video files. You will lost them. MP4. This should work though i dont know. It makes no sense since storage is cheap. Are you going to spend time each day editing video? You will have to watch through all the video each day then spend the time exporting and editing it. That is silly. Buy a larger drive. How much is your time worth? You also risk deleting something you may need. VMS software is designed to be left alone until you need the footage. This kind of micro management is counter productive.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alerts are simply pointers to video files. You will lost them. MP4. This should work though i dont know. It makes no sense since storage is cheap. Are you going to spend time each day editing video? You will have to watch through all the video each day then spend the time exporting and editing it. That is silly. Buy a larger drive. How much is your time worth? You also risk deleting something you may need. VMS software is designed to be left alone until you need the footage. This kind of micro management is counter productive.
Thanks.