Dahua 2231 NTP Issue

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This came up in another thread and I figured it deserved its own as it sounds like a few people have the same issue. I have a 2231 from @EMPIRETECANDY that won't keep time accurately. When I first set it up back in 2019, I had it set to use the BI PC as the NTP server and the CST time zone. All was well. Some time ago (I can't remember anymore but sometime last year) I set all my cameras to use my pfSense router as the NTP server so that everything would be consistent across my network. This worked great for some time until one of my 2231 cameras started showing the time as one hour early. Initially I thought it was a DST issue but confirmed those settings were correct. Occasionally I would find the camera reverted back to my BI machine's IP address, and when that happens it can have a wildly incorrect date/time.

Thanks to @wittaj I am using a workaround of changing the timezone to Eastern just to have it correct, but I'm not sure that will hold if the IP address reverts again. I will have to do a factory default and see if that clears whatever the glitch is. Tagging @smiticans and @Flintstone61 as they made mention in the other thread Break-in Thread

I'd be curious how many have this issue and if it is exclusively a 2231 problem. Otherwise these have been excellent cameras!!!

DST.PNG

Code:
Device Type IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
System Version V2.800.0000008.0.R, Build Date: 2019-06-19
WEB Version V3.2.1.749079
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.3.651299)

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, Dahua 2231 are the cams that I have a problem with time sync. I have the cameras syncing to the BI server, which uses net time for correct time. The BI server time stays correct, but camera time changes -1 hr over time, even though camera is still pointing to the BI server IP. Have tried enabling and disabling DST, w/o any luck.

1626348322529.png

Firmware version

1626348438604.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll add a little here. I have a 2231RP-ZS, early version of the 2231 I think, and a 2231T-ZS, what I think is a later version. The R-ZS has to be set one time zone earlier, Atlantic time, to maintain accurate time, the same hour. The T-ZS works fine on the Eastern time zone. All my cameras are synced to the BI machine using nettime. I have another one, can't remember which one right now but it's not a 2231, that does the same thing. I think Dahua has a bug in firmware somewhere that pops up in some models.

@EMPIRETECANDY Have you heard any other comments about this Andy?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My 2231 works for my intended purpose and I see no reason to update it to fix the time zone and possible wreck something else LOL. Just moved it a time zone over and it works LOL.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My 2231 works for my intended purpose and I see no reason to update it to fix the time zone and possible wreck something else LOL. Just moved it a time zone over and it works LOL.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Although with only one affected camera I might give it a whirl. I have a spare on hand if it goes south..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I installed DH_IPC-HX2X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream2_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707 on a HDW2431R-ZS successully. With version 2.800.0000016, the sub stream iFrame interval would revert back to twice that of the frame rate upon a reboot of the camera. In this version, the iFrame rate for the substream does not change after a reboot - in my testing this morning it keeps the value I set (equal to frame rate). I never had a problem with the time sync on version 16 (my cameras sync to my USG 4 Pro which is my NTP server) but I wanted to test this version if the iframe bug for sub streams was fixed. Thanks for @EMPIRETECANDY for posting it and to @looney2ns for posting it to downloads. I will see how it performs over the next couple of days and may schedule a reboot to ensure the iFrame rate setting sticks following an automatic reboot.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh I meant to check my firmware version today, but the damn Fire Alarm went off in the building and an hour and a half later the Power went out area wide. needless to say, I had other crap to deal with. but mine is on "nettime" and is showing the right time. last time I looked. with the power outage all bets are off. Need to sit down and see what's what tomorrow AM.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
im now having this same problem with my 5231 (just upgraded the firmware to the newest)

time started out correct, then all of a sudden its off by an hour.

its supposed to be using my NTP server on my router, so Ill see if anything gets fixed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
So the clock/time issue was or was not an issure before the firmware update?
Notice......Notice.....Notice......
FIRMWARE UPDATE INFORMATION STATEMENT NUMBER 1

23:56 17Jul2021

NWS PACIFIC fIRMWARE WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI

A 6.3 firmware event has been detected.

...NO TSUNAMI THREAT FROM A NEARBY Upgrade...

...but your equipment will be off by 1 hour from this day forward.

Avoid Firmware upgrades if things are working OK.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So the clock/time issue was or was not an issure before the firmware update?
Notice......Notice.....Notice......
FIRMWARE UPDATE INFORMATION STATEMENT NUMBER 1

23:56 17Jul2021

NWS PACIFIC fIRMWARE WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI

A 6.3 firmware event has been detected.

...NO TSUNAMI THREAT FROM A NEARBY Upgrade...

...but your equipment will be off by 1 hour from this day forward.

Avoid Firmware upgrades if things are working OK.
I’ve been lazy and haven’t tried upgrading to fix my only camera with the issue. Tweaking the time zone has given a correct time that has held. So I’m just going to roll with it as-is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I updated the problematic 2231 and the time problem is still there. It's set to Atlantic Time to keep it in sync with the time here in the Eastern Time Zone.